Fly Tying
vicrider

Monthly swap begin or end? Pics of past year

Vic, it would have been a great place for you to land for sure! I'm not native to the area but my wife is so thankfully we won't be leaving anytime soon unless the salary is too much to turn down. With some luck I can hammer down some solid bass spots this year. I started fly fishing when I moved here from Nebraska for grad school a few years ago and have targeted solely trout but this year my goal is to really go after the smallies nearby...there are also some damned carp I've never been able to catch too. No doubt an excellent area to be for an angler and I've love to show it off.

The good old boy I used to fish with TN put the boat in by the dam on one of the lakes and said that in the fall he was able to fish the area outside the roped off water and catch carp on dry flies. I've seen them feeding on the surface before myself in the river sucking bugs of the channels where the currents would pile up foam. Looked funny as heel to see all these big carp ring mouths moving thru the foam and slurping bugs. Never had fly gear at right time since we were on the Mississippi in MN fishing walleyes and cats with small mouth bonuses.

See PJ, I wish I knew how to use the symbols correctly every time without trying to see if I've got it right.

Actually yes, I did mean no hooks SMALLER than or 18.

post-56221-0-74378800-1452385030_thumb.jpg

Ok thanks Nick. This will be my bead head, I think its called a LIghtning Nymph. First attempt at this little bugger....

Well due to a particularly bad tooth that gets yanked in the morning, I could not work today so I washed a couple Advil down with Bourbon and tied up a dozen + 2 of Hans Weilenmann's CDC and elk size#14 I will mail them off in the morning. I was worried I'd fail to have time to tie January's batch by the deadline due to work and a hunting trip but i guess I got "LUCKY"

Now that's funny Pica. Depending on how much pain killer you used could determine the flies quality. Back when I drank a friend and I painted an outboard motor one afternoon. When I took a look at the beauty we'd created and promptly got out the paint stripper and sand paper. Most of us have gone the round of tooth pain, myself a little more than most, and is never a fun thing. Can make your side of face feel like it's coming off. Thanx for getting them in early but sorry it took pain to get 'er done.

Ya I had some serious medical problems and it unfortunately killed a bunch of my teeth this morning was my 8th and hopefully last one to go. Well the flies looked pretty good last night, I will make sure they are all squared away before I mail em off.

Sounds good guys. I'll try to keep quick turnarounds if everyone does a good job getting them in. Already a few nice lookers in the box.