Fly Tying

Having studied aquatic entomology, I can tell you that whereas stream insects tend to either be encased or attached, or they are streamlined in shape.... lake insects tend to be wider and flatter (like a coin). Look at dragonfly naiad pics and you'll see some that are long and streamlined, and others that are wide and flat. Other typical lake insects are water beetles, hemiptera, whirligig beetles, etc.

Perfect person for me to ask, what kind of pond/ river insects do we have down here in FL.?

The big ones are called alligators

When I go to a new lake the first fly I try, in most cases, will be a Glens leech or other leech pattern. Never found a lake that didn't have leech's that I can recall.

Having studied aquatic entomology, I can tell you that whereas stream insects tend to either be encased or attached, or they are streamlined in shape.... lake insects tend to be wider and flatter (like a coin). Look at dragonfly naiad pics and you'll see some that are long and streamlined, and others that are wide and flat. Other typical lake insects are water beetles, hemiptera, whirligig beetles, etc.

Perfect person for me to ask, what kind of pond/ river insects do we have down here in FL.?

I tied a pattern for them once was too big to cast! Lol

When I go to a new lake the first fly I try, in most cases, will be a Glens leech or other leech pattern. Never found a lake that didn't have leech's that I can recall.

Thank you

I tied a pattern for them once was too big to cast! Lol

I've considered tying alligator fly patterns ... but then I realized: If I caught a bass on a 6 foot alligator bait, I probably don't have enough rod to get that fish in.

I guess SE PA qualifies as mid-Atlantic. I fished Maryland when I was younger long before I took up fly fishing but rivers like the Bohemia, Sassafras and the Elk and the C&D canal. When I fish lakes around here I use mainly top water patterns and subsurface bait fish patterns. You didn't mention what you were fishing for. If you're targeting trout then you stick with Chironomidae, otherwise known as midges, larvae. When you think midge you usually think small or tiny flies but some midge larvae can be 1/2" to 3/4" long the ones that are bright red are called "blood worms". Most of your lake caddis and mayflies are burrowing species and the only time they're really on the fishes' menu is when they're emerging and moving to the surface. Check to see if any of the lakes you want to fish have a hex(giant mayfly)hatch. Big mayflies, big nymphs, only drawback is that they hatch in the late evening around dark.

Woolly buggers have already been mentioned they'll work for trout or warm water fish. I don't use them much but small 1" to 2" long in black, olive and brown for dragonfly and damselfly nymphs and small leeches. White for bait fish. 3" to 4" for leeches in black and olive, brown or olive with a touch of orange for crayfish and white for larger bait fish. Back to the insects. A bit more specific about terrestrials since most lakes have fields, grass or trees near the shore and as the summer progress they're going to end up dropping or getting blown into the lake, grasshoppers and crickets, beetles, ants and caterpillars will catch you fish.

I guess SE PA qualifies as mid-Atlantic. I fished Maryland when I was younger long before I took up fly fishing but rivers like the Bohemia, Sassafras and the Elk and the C&D canal. When I fish lakes around here I use mainly top water patterns and subsurface bait fish patterns. You didn't mention what you were fishing for. If you're targeting trout then you stick with Chironomidae, otherwise known as midges, larvae. When you think midge you usually think small or tiny flies but some midge larvae can be 1/2" to 3/4" long the ones that are bright red are called "blood worms". Most of your lake caddis and mayflies are burrowing species and the only time they're really on the fishes' menu is when they're emerging and moving to the surface. Check to see if any of the lakes you want to fish have a hex(giant mayfly)hatch. Big mayflies, big nymphs, only drawback is that they hatch in the late evening around dark.

Woolly buggers have already been mentioned they'll work for trout or warm water fish. I don't use them much but small 1" to 2" long in black, olive and brown for dragonfly and damselfly nymphs and small leeches. White for bait fish. 3" to 4" for leeches in black and olive, brown or olive with a touch of orange for crayfish and white for larger bait fish. Back to the insects. A bit more specific about terrestrials since most lakes have fields, grass or trees near the shore and as the summer progress they're going to end up dropping or getting blown into the lake, grasshoppers and crickets, beetles, ants and caterpillars will catch you fish.

Thank you Philly; great list to follow

I fish lakes most of the time and agree that the foundation of the pattern approach should include dragonflies, adult and nymph, damselflies, adult and nymph, leeches, and terrestrials.

Add to that list mosquitoes, adult and larvae, and you've got a go-anywhere kinda box!

Black, brown, and olive are indispensable. Wooly Buggers, Wooly Worms, Zug Bugs, and Hares Ear nymphs get the job done nicely.

I fish lakes most of the time and agree that the foundation of the pattern approach should include dragonflies, adult and nymph, damselflies, adult and nymph, leeches, and terrestrials.

Add to that list mosquitoes, adult and larvae, and you've got a go-anywhere kinda box!

Black, brown, and olive are indispensable. Wooly Buggers, Wooly Worms, Zug Bugs, and Hares Ear nymphs get the job done nicely.

Thank you luvinbluegills; there were a few I forgot about