Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Browntown3

Dark Barred Ginger or Cree Hackle Use

I saw a sweet Whiting Bronze Cree cape online last hear and got it for a good price. I use it on the usual adams, para nymphs ect. What else can i use it on? Dark colored mayflies? I was in my local shop today and saw on sale a Whiting Bronz Dark Barred Ginger saddle for 35$. Couldnt pass it up. What do you guys use this hackle for?

Thanks for the help,

Kev

I use it for any thing where ginger or brown is called for. The short saddle feathers, about 2 to 3 inches are great for a number of different salt water patterns.

Agreed, I use barred ginger almost exclusively for brown hackle. The barring isn't sufficiently noticeable, when wound on, to alter the overall coloration, but the slight variations of color make a more attractive fly.

Agree with above. I firmly believe shades are better than solid colour blocks and grizzle, barred ginger, badger, etc will always be my choice over solid colours for trout wets and dries.

The parachute style presents that dimpled effect on the surface and I'm not convinced the colour matters all that much aside from using a broken(grizzled)hackle so different shades show light differently from below. Also why I don't tie bodies in a solid shade. Or try not to. Mix dubbing or use dubbing that has natural shade changes like seal.

I have a whiting dark barred ginger cape, just got done tying some elk hair caddis with it, very nice feathers.