Fly Tying
objekt

Pheasant ID

My better half recently bought a pheasant at the local market in Amsterdam, and had the presence of mind to choose the one with a lot of tail feathers. These aren't the usual variety however. Does anyone with knowledge of the different sorts of pheasant know which these are from? The centre tails are very dark, with a faint blue sheen that doesn't show up in the photo.

Thanks in advance!

post-57109-0-46245700-1457809091_thumb.jpg

Very interesting and useful-looking! Some of the outside feathers exhibit the markings of the Chinese (ring-neck) pheasant on one side of the feather only. Possibly a cross between a ring neck and another species? Possibly just a melanic or a sport? Hopefully someone here will have seen this before.

Henrick. I own a melanistic pheasant skin and the tail feathers all exhibit the strong bar markings of the normal ring-neck, just darker overall. (As does the bird in your photo.) But that doesn't mean objekt's feathers doesn't come from a melanistic bird. The tail feathers from my skin don't have the beautiful mottling shown in objekt's photo. I just wondered if that might come from crossing with another species.

They might be from a bohemian black neck pheasant.

I raise these and the color seems pretty close to me.

Amazes me more folk don't have some melanistic birds in their tying kit. Great shades and variation for that little something different.

Amazes me more folk don't have some melanistic birds in their tying kit. Great shades and variation for that little something different.

I couldn't agree more. And while I personally prefer the natural variations you can now buy dyed PT as well.

BTW I have been searching images of the Bohemian Black-Necked Pheasant and they all seem to have tail feathers that look like normal Ring-Neck Pheasant. I did find this images, however:

post-12311-0-42284500-1458126924_thumb.jpg

Says "Lady Amherst Pheasant" (?) But does look like object's feathers.

A photo of the entire bird would help.

Well of course it would, but unfortunately the only feathers left on the bird were its tail feathers.

Although Amherst feathers show some resemblance, my guess is that the bid was a melanistic mutant or indeed a Bohemian Blackjack as some have suggested.