Fly Tying
chelsroode

Stillwater trout ontario

Hello,

I am brand new to fly fishing, I just got lessons as a gift this past Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has any recommended flies for speckled and rainbow trout in Ontario lakes. I will be fishing near Denbigh, Ontario.

Or just some go to flies for Stillwater trout.

Thank you,

Chelsea

In colder conditions trout will go for larger flies presented a little slower and as water warms you drop in sizes and may retrieve a little quicker.

I wouldn't fish anywhere for trout without a wooly bugger, pheasant tail nymph (PTN), some type of small streamer like a viva or cats whiskers.

Also dry flies will work if there are flies on the surface or you can see fish rising. Caddis patterns and madam X patterns work will as static or twitched flies on the surface.

I'm sure someone more local will throw in some local favourites.

With still water try to look for the windward bank if the wind has been warm for a few days as the insects will have been drifted that way and the fish aren't daft. Also the flat looking wind lanes you will see on the water hold insects due to surface dynamics and if you can drift your flies near there you should find fish.

I would add that after ice out often you will find trout in the shallows near shore.. I personally start out ( here in New England) with weighted streamers, soft hackles, Wooly Buggers and Hares Ear Nymphs. One , any, or all of those will get me my early fish till the midges get going. Once midges start coming off I switch over in most of these ponds here to midge emergers. A little later on we will get a short black caddis season, then some lighter caddis. In summer is night time Hex hatches and we go through a season of ants on a couple of ponds.

It helps to know prevalent bait fish in your area to aid in selecting streamer patterns . One bucktail streamer I've had work almost universally is the Black Nosed Dace, though I make mine with a silver tinsel body and add a gold rib. I spun that body up in my mind based of the highly successful Colorado spoons I have used which are gold and silver and also universal to many waters.

I might also add that also very early on after ice out sometimes it helps to use some form of sinking line ( not my favorite thing to do but an option).

Good luck !!

I've done some fishing in the area just south of Huntsville, but it was for smallmouth. A couple of shows on "The New Flyfisher" were filmed on small lakes

some small lakes about 4 hours north of you for big brookies, speckled trout as you call them, and the go to fly was a black woolly bugger. I would make sure you have some in your fly box, along with olive and white ones. 2 to 3 inches long which match any bait fish or leeches that might be in the lake.