Fly Tying
Losthwy

Renzetti Traveler knob to cam conversion cheap alternative.

I'm looking to convert my old Renzetti Traveler that has the small knob to a cam. But the price of the cam jaws is almost half the price of the vise. No way I'm paying that.

Any alternatives anyone know of?

Unless the jaws are machined the same way in the lever/screw area I think your out of luck to a conversion. The lever itself is machined like a cam

Sell the old one and buy a new lever one or bite the bullet and buy the replacement jaws

My screw on the old knob type cross-threaded and I took it to my local shop to have it replaced with the cam lever. They sent it back to Renzetti for replacement and they (Renzetti) returned it with a knob. Because of the shop's error, I got the cam lever jaws for free...biggrin.png

...but like Norm says there ain't no short cut...

PT/TB

I'm looking to convert my old Renzetti Traveler that has the small knob to a cam. But the price of the cam jaws is almost half the price of the vise. No way I'm paying that.

Any alternatives anyone know of?

I posted a DIY conversion for the Renzetti Traveller:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=80062&p=611779

page2image45544_zpsa92c06a6.jpg

I would guess that the conversion provides at least 3 times the clamping force as the original and probably even more than the cam lever.

again

page2image45544_zpsa92c06a6.jpg

That is just a modification of the old round thumb screw to a simple lever vs an actual "cam" lever that is inside the jaws

The cam lever is between the jaws as opposed to the side of the jaws

Yes, I know it is not a cam.

You adjust the screw at the tip of the jaws to set the jaw width and tighten the jaw with the lever. Semantically, it is not a cam, but funtionally, the lever arm works like the lever arm on the cam.

What was wanted was a "cheap alternative" and semantically, "alternative" is defined as another option. I think this fits the definiiton of "alternative". Cost = $2.00 plus a piece of wood for the lever so it is cheap.

Yup selling it. Too costly to buy a new cam jaw and due to tendonitis in both hands due to the type of work I do. The knob will not work for me any longer. It's a good vise somebody will be getting a deal for $90.

Why not send it back to Renzetti and see if they can help you?

I had great service from them in the past and it saved me a lot of aggravation. Now I've been using my Renzetti Presentation for almost 40 years without a problem.

I have no reason to want to move up to cam lever jaws on my vice.