Fly Tying
Dave G.

Catskills in Aug and flies ?

Dave look up Troutguy's Muddler in the pattern section. That is typical of what I fish with in the summer. I don't know how to message you photos.

Caught at least one each night over twenty inches at that spot I sent you.

These were first week of August six years ago this summer. Last time I was in NY.

I think I have posted these before, sorry.

post-3361-0-97952800-1462664187_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-52007800-1462663976_thumb.jpg

Hey Dave Im going to be in the catskills at about the same time as you, only im going specifically to fish for my first trout ever

Hey Dave Im going to be in the catskills at about the same time as you, only im going specifically to fish for my first trout ever

Wow Joe ! Ya the only reason I'm going in Aug is because of this wedding but that will give me a good reason to check out the area. I've wanted to do a NY fishing trip for some time, can't say I'd pick Aug to it though if it were fishing only. I think I'd definitely have my canoe or other water craft along in case it comes down to slower wider stretches and bass fishing. Course too, that might might make it too easy to default to something you do all the time and fail to get that trout you went for. I know in Maine we can always get trout but the bigger trout and salmon are really in the lakes in Aug and move back into the rivers in mid Sept when larger and cooler flows of water are running.. But that's Maine where the fish migrate in and out of the rivers. NY will be a new experience for both of us then !

Wow Joe ! Ya the only reason I'm going in Aug

I agree about August. I didn't pick that time of the year exactly. One of my leather customers owns some camping property in Rosco NY. And is going to be there then. He invited me to come up and fish two of the more productive rivers/streams that time of year. One will be a drift boat trip. So no way I was passing it up lol.

Wow Joe ! Ya the only reason I'm going in Aug

I agree about August. I didn't pick that time of the year exactly. One of my leather customers owns some camping property in Rosco NY. And is going to be there then. He invited me to come up and fish two of the more productive rivers/streams that time of year. One will be a drift boat trip. So no way I was passing it up lol.

Ya a drift boat is an awesome way to fish a river. I used to power a small aluminum boat up to the last run over the rocks and between the bolders of the East outlet of the Kennebec river and then drift our way back out to Indian pond. Course that boat was not a drift boat so could only do the deeper parts. We have also canoed the West Outlet, about 4 miles of the 7 mile run. And powered that old boat up to the last run in the Moose river too. But a couple of years ago the family got together and bought me a drift boat trip down the upper section of the Kennebec east outlet. I know the guide anyway, Scott Snell, but he put us over areas you could only dream about fishing on foot and not dare to go by canoe in the spring waters. He stopped counting at 30 fish, and that was at about half the run . It was just an awesome trip but I missed the biggests fish that he specifically set us near, the fish took it and I straightened the hook, it was just a little like #20 or #18 Royal Coachman Parachute dry fly. He said his other guide had been trying for that fish for some time but no takes. I got it but not for too long, there was fast water right behind where he was holding and he got right in it. They estimated the fish to be about a 5lb Brookie. These guys have been fishing these stretches all their lives, they know every pocket and every run..

Anyway, awesome trip hope yours goes half as well ! There are really nice sized Browns where you/we are going, if you can get on them. Hoping you get into them Joe !