Fly Tying

You can use large head thumb-tacks to set your extra bobbins on...All it takes is something to wrap around to hold them. My thumb-tacks are on the side of my desk box.

Great suggestion!

BTW, I have yet to tie on the Jvice, but it's definitely on my short-list to try...

TC

But you really don't want to know how many boxes of spools i have...I don't want know!

Tim, I agree with you on just about every point, but there is still one big reason I don't have one. It is a bench top only vice. I can't set it up at a height where I can use it. At least not without building a new bench specially for it. I have tried a friends and it does what it says on the can. The lack of height adjustment rules it out for me. Which is a shame as I can see it making a significant difference to tying speed.

Please think about how much thread you waste leaving a tag long enough to snap off each time you start the thread. Some of those bits you discard are long enough to tie a fly. I go through about 8 to 10 spools of UTC70 in black a year, Tying mostly in the 14 to 18 size range. That costs me about £18 ($27), doubling that cost is a significant hole in my profit margin.

I noticed you break the tip of your peacock herl after tying it in. A way to avoid this, once you have admitted the tips will break, is, rather than trim the tips off, (guesswork) hold the herls over your thumb nail under moderate pressure, and, holding the buts firmly, run your thumb nail down them. The tips will all snap off at the first weak point, leaving you a nice even bunch that doesn't snap off when tied in. I hope it helps, by now it has saved me hours of wasted effort.

Cheers,

C.

Please think about how much thread you waste leaving a tag long enough to snap off each time you start the thread. Some of those bits you discard are long enough to tie a fly.

I never snap off tags...Just hold the bobbin so the spring is held and unwind the tag from the post. If i snapped them off every time i would find i didn't have a post, or tack, to wind it onto...It would just be a ball of thread. Yeah, something seems odd on this???

Please think about how much thread you waste leaving a tag long enough to snap off each time you start the thread. Some of those bits you discard are long enough to tie a fly.

I never snap off tags...Just hold the bobbin so the spring is held and unwind the tag from the post. If i snapped them off every time i would find i didn't have a post, or tack, to wind it onto...It would just be a ball of thread. Yeah, something seems odd on this???

I think you have misunderstood. I was meaning the tag when the thread is started on the fly. Leaving it long enough to grip to is just a huge waste.

Cheers,

C.

Yeah, i re-watched it and caught on. Unfortunately there are a lot of tiers doing that...I never got it either. They say it is faster, but how much time do you waste chasing down thread? The nor-bobbin takes time to load the spools...i tend to throw them in a pile and re-thread in batches.

These are often the same tiers who will tell you that speed isn't a significant factor in their tying. It comes down to a cost / speed equation. In this case cost wins. Well it certainly does for me. I can do without a 100% increase in thread costs.

Cheers,

C.

Tim, I agree with you on just about every point, but there is still one big reason I don't have one. It is a bench top only vice. I can't set it up at a height where I can use it. At least not without building a new bench specially for it. I have tried a friends and it does what it says on the can. The lack of height adjustment rules it out for me. Which is a shame as I can see it making a significant difference to tying speed.

Please think about how much thread you waste leaving a tag long enough to snap off each time you start the thread. Some of those bits you discard are long enough to tie a fly. I go through about 8 to 10 spools of UTC70 in black a year, Tying mostly in the 14 to 18 size range. That costs me about £18 ($27), doubling that cost is a significant hole in my profit margin.

I noticed you break the tip of your peacock herl after tying it in. A way to avoid this, once you have admitted the tips will break, is, rather than trim the tips off, (guesswork) hold the herls over your thumb nail under moderate pressure, and, holding the buts firmly, run your thumb nail down them. The tips will all snap off at the first weak point, leaving you a nice even bunch that doesn't snap off when tied in. I hope it helps, by now it has saved me hours of wasted effort.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks for your thoughts, Craig, and you always bring up some great talking points. For the notion of thread, it does come down to a speed versus cost and it's something that I appreciate you mentioning. Regardless of if tying for profit or passion, everyone adopts a style and at the moment, that's mine. Thanks for bringing it to my attention and I'll consider a change in the future.

For the peacock herl, I will definitely try that versus guessing the weak location...thanks for that tip!

Tim