Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Norikane

Loon UV tip clogging

I have a new bottle of Loon UV Thin. It came with a two applicator tips and a brush.

I like the fine, pink applicator tip, but it clogged after one use. I left the pink tip on the Loon bottle and put the black cap on the end of the applicator. The next day, it was clogged.

I cannot find any instructions from Loon except that the applicators are UV opaque.

Am I supposed to remove and clean the tips after each use? That's a big pain in the rear and wastes expensive resin.

Any help appreciated.

i use loon flow with the red tip and leave it on the cap. i just place the protector on the tip. no clogged tip yet!

didnt the white (or red) cap come with your kit?

loon_zpsymfsxhuu.jpg

Alternatively, try unblocking it from the broad end of needle to push the blockage out the tip of the needle and not back into the container.

Switched out the tip with an extra tip from CCG, cut it in half and use a pin to keep it clear.

DSCN3752.jpg

Kimo

Is your fly tying desk near a window?

Yes, four feet from a west facing window. hmmm, I thought glass blocked UV, but I bet some comes through, and I live a mile high, so there's more UV here.

The clog is deep in the nozzle which is supposed to be UV blocking, and I store the resin away from the window on a dark shelf. I only have the resin on my bench while I tie, but that could be a few hours of sunlight. I've switched to the blue nozzle and will see how that goes. I was able to clear the pink nozzle using a pin point to poke a hole, then scraping the sides with pinhead to clear out the residue.

I left a message at Loon customer service, so I'll see what they say. I thought the Loon packaging blocked UV.

I've also put some test dots of resin on my bench and in the window. After 6 minutes, the one in the window is somewhat hard, but the one on the most exposed part of my bench is still very fluid. So obviously significant UV is coming in the window now, and more will come in early evening when I often tie.

I talked to Brett at Loon Outdoors. He called me back late this afternoon, just before the long holiday weekend. Turns out he is the designer of the Loon UV products.Really nice to talk to the product expert.

He says that he leaves his UV bottles on his desk all the time and doesn't think the sun was the problem. He has gotten clogs when a high intensity UV light hits the nozzle, though. He says it's much stronger than sun through a window. I think this is what happened to me. I paid no attention to where I set the bottle while tying. I probably shined the light on the bottle as I twisted it to hit every speck of fly. I'll put the bottle out of harms way while tying and storing, from now on.

BTW, I mentioned that tack was less than I expected, and he said that they changed the formula of thin a few years ago to make it lower tack.

Have a great weekend everyone and take a some time to remember our veterans.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Since the nozzles are translucent any stray uv light that hits it may cause the residual resin in the tip to harden

Since the nozzles are translucent any stray uv light that hits it may cause the residual resin in the tip to harden

Loon says their tips are UV blocking. I think they probably let some UV through, so a direct hit with strong UV could cause a clog.

Since my first clog, I've been careful not to leave the bottle in sunlight or hit it with the UV torch. No new clogs so far.