Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

8ft 5wt glass

Rods%202016%20001_zpsqwsyw99a.jpg

Rods%202016%20002_zpsazonhzaz.jpg

Rods%202016%20003_zpsy8foibly.jpg

Rods%202016%20004_zpsrmhus0sl.jpg

Rods%202016%20005_zpsgo1catrr.jpg

Here's just a real beauty of a rod just off the bench. This one is an 8ft 5wt 4pc fiberglass that is custom but done in a way to keep a very nostalgic & classy look. Nice mortised wood seat with gunmetal colors hardware, grip is all smokey burl cork with some rubberized 1/4" ends. Wraps are garnet with black trim and then some black spiral overwraps on the ferules and in front of the grip. Then has a classic style four leg stripper and snake guides.

That's a good question. I built a 6wt about 6 years ago for our club auction and that crazy thing fought me tooth and nail. Guides wanting to turn, unruly thread, brain farts, and re-wrapping guides. THEN when I get to finishing, the first time I attempted a 1 part finish, it took forever to setup. Then I had to go with multiple coats to get it to build.

It did come out nice. But what a PITA!

Just thought i'd ask cos' i just made a crap fly & everything went wrong! Funny thing is the misses said when i started, all you do is ty flies! Hadn't even been there in over a week!8-}

Just wondering, have you ever had a bad build Steve? I mean one that just went horrible from start to finish!

Thanks Guys. Adam I have had some rods that I personally didn't care for the color combos with, but they were what the customer wanted so that's what I gave them. But I think you mean just bad issues/problems with a rod. Probably the most problems I had with a rod was about 7 years ago I had a customer that wanted a custom G.Loomis 13ft float rod. The problem was they did not make the rod he wanted in bare blank, just complete rod. So he bought the $450 completely brand new rod and sent it to me to completely strip and rebuild. That was major headaches for many reasons. One because stripping a rod to bare form is not an easy task to do without damaging the rod, so one mistake would mean a $450 problem. And two...it's just a major pain and very time consuming even when it goes right.

Here's the link to that project over on our sister site RBf from back in 2008. Click on that and you can see how much of a pain in the ass that job was lol http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=18108&hl=loomis

So that was probably the most issues I ever had with any one rod I would say. I'll never let anything go out of my shop I'm not satisfied with though. I'm a very detailed oriented type person, actually have somewhat of an OCD personality, so if I'm not happy with something I build then I'd rather eat the cost and redo it so I can send out something that I am happy with rather than just let it slide.