Fly Tying
Brodrash

5wt too small for carp?

Thanks for all your opinions. I'll try to stay away from the carp for now, and my next rod will be an 8 wt. Then I will have a 3, 5, and an 8wt. That ought to cover anything that swims in freshwater right?

Just keep telling yourself that. I have a 2wt,4 3wts, 3 4wts, 3 5wts, 6wt, 2 7wts, 8wt and 9 wt. These are in bamboo, fiberglass, and graphite.

Came home one time with a new rod and my says "How many of those do you need?", I told her I wanted a pile big enough that she couldn't tell the difference when I added another. ;)

"There is not a woman born who is not a shopper at heart ..." Not true!

I know I am super lucky to have the Wife I do. She must be very rare, because she hates spending money on herself. She'll do it, and buy something when she needs it. She usually knows what she's looking for, though, and hates "window shopping". She doesn't even like browsing around through the mall.

But, I am the same way. I have enough rods at the moment. I am at the point where I only buy a rod to replace a broken one. I might buy a deal ... like one of Steve's rods when he posts one, but that's rare, too.

To the original post ... a 5 weight is sufficient, as has been noted before. I have one 8 weight (from Steve), but it's for throwing big flies, not for fighting big fish. The size of the rod is less important than the size of your terminal gear. You could be casting with an 8 weight, but if you only have a 4# test tippet, you'll still be fighting the fish for a long time to land it.

On the other hand, you can have a 5 weight rod, with 10# test tippet and horse a big carp in much faster while still enjoying it when you catch a one pound fish.

DavidR, have seen quite a few northern Pike pulled out of a few of the waters I fish they are not usually huge but I have seen a couple around 30 inches. The biggest Pike I've seen was pulled out of an Hay field lol I think it was over 40. What's the best rod wt for them in your opinion?

It's not unusual to use 10 or 11wt rods for Musky. You got to be prepared to throw big flies and when you eventually get a hook up, have a rod with some back bone to stop the fish getting into any tree debris or going places you don't want it to go.