Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mybadhabit

Starters Package

Fishing for white bass especially other panfish also the TX tradition Cipert Minnow. It is simple to tie. Can be as small this one on what I think is a size 10 2xl if I remember right or on a #4 Limerick Bend for largemouth. I like to use a fluoro thread since it shines through the center line of the minnow. Any number of vids on tying on net.

thread...bead chain for eyes...chenille to form body and channel for braid...any color metallic braid or whatever you use, I pull string out of braid to lay flatter in channel.

DSC01439_zpsh0d2td1d.jpg

DSC00921_zps384bfaeb.jpg

Interesting pattern Vicrider. I like it. I've never seen chenille tied that way. I have bead chain, but have only used it in a clouser pattern. Now I have something new to try. Thanks!

Look at a video. Start by simply tying in you bead eyes but don't get too tight to the hook eye. Leave a little room. Then wind to the back and tie in chenille. Take it up around one side of the bead chain eyes, then back and tie again. Go up around the other side of the bead chain eye then back and tie off on other side. You'll see this leaves a channel between the two chenille runs. Take piece of braid with core out, measure it roughly from eye to back of chenille. Leaving it about a 1/2" long or so in back pop the eye of the hook right through the braid. Bring braid back and seat in top channel and tie down in back so the extended piece is your tail to pick apart. Bring braid under fly and tie off at back of hook. I trim one piece of braid and just use top piece for tail. Some use both.

This fly will hold up to a lot more fish if you then go back to front of eye, wind a tight head on to hold braid to eye and cement or UV or SA as you choose. Sounds like it could be complicated but tie a couple and they just start to fall off the vise.