Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Midge flash

Anyone on the board have any experience working with Hareline's midge flash. Looks good but I thought I read awhile back that it tends to snarl up. My intent would be to use it very sparsely. Thanks for any advice.

For fine flash to use with fine hair like fox or goat I don't think you can beat angelhair.

For coarser hair like bucktail or squirrel I prefer a coarser flash like mirror or krinkle. I've find mixing coarse with fine causes tangles.

I have some fine Crestwood flash is the midge flash, don't have problems with it getting snarled up, makes a nice addition to plain dubbing for buggers.

Angelhair is not going to be a good substitute for midge flash (if we are talking midge sized krystal flash) unless you are going to be using it as just a dubbing additive or the like. I use it as legs in small nymph patterns and have never had any more problem with it than normal krystal flash. Also useful as ribbing for smallish patterns where you do not want to add a lot of weight. Not sure what you meant by "snarl up" but never had a problem with this material...or any other material, truth be told. Just a matter of using the right material for the right task. YMMV.

I had read that people experience the flash clinging together when used for tailing. I would surmise that they used too much and or kept it too long. Thanks Whatfly for your usuage tips.

Flash in tails of spey cast flies tangling together is definitely a thing and fine with fine, coarse with coarse seems to be the general solution. The flash in question is often tied in small amounts woth maybe only 2 strands of krinkle in a Bucktail fly or less than 5strands of angel hair on a fox tail fly. Perhaps there are fewer issues when tying in greater amounts of flash.

I had read that people experience the flash clinging together when used for tailing.[snip]

Generally speaking, I do not use any of the various krystal flash-like products in tails. It has a tendency to dampen the action in a long tail, but I will used it to enhance shucks, collars, and wings -- i.e. any application where the stiffness of the material will not affect the action. If looking to add a bit of flash to a tail, then I would have to reverse myself and agree with Piker20 that a bit of Angel Hair or even midge size Flashabou would be a better choice.