Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Fat Head Minnow - Underwater Footage!

This material is awesome to work with. Its a new blend of material made form Fly Tiers Dungeon called "Arctic Wind" and I love it. Lots of flash, and very shiny. Also the fibers are long enough for decent sized streamers.

I am tying a fat head minnow pattern today. They are small brownish, white bellied, bait fish with a distinct dark lateral line. They are one of the most popular live baits in conventional fishing, and many freshwater fish eat them. This fly is about 2" long and has a very sharp jigging action.
Hook: Gamakatsu SS15 - size 2
Weight: "Rivers Wild" Cone head cap and .035 non-lead heavy wire
Thread: Danville 210 flat waxed - brown
Body materials: FTD Arctic Wind - hot white, tan, brown
Lateral Line: Holographic flashabou - black
Adhesive: Fletch Tite
Epoxy: Solarez UV Resin - Bone Dry

nice tie and tip about the thread at the hook eye. i haven't been on the dungeon site in a few months so thanks for letting me know about the new material. looks like i'll be placing an order there soon. i did buy a pack of the arctic snow dubbing in tan to test it out last summer and it was alright, but that stuff mixed with a little flash and longer fibers looks beautiful as a streamer. have you tried his starburst dubbing? i like the look of it on some streamer heads i've done. man i love playing with his materials because it's easy on the wallet. buying every color of anything he offers is cheaper than buying just a few colors of any competitors product

nice tie and tip about the thread at the hook eye. i haven't been on the dungeon site in a few months so thanks for letting me know about the new material. looks like i'll be placing an order there soon. i did buy a pack of the arctic snow dubbing in tan to test it out last summer and it was alright, but that stuff mixed with a little flash and longer fibers looks beautiful as a streamer. have you tried his starburst dubbing? i like the look of it on some streamer heads i've done. man i love playing with his materials because it's easy on the wallet. buying every color of anything he offers is cheaper than buying just a few colors of any competitors product

Thanks! Yeah I love FTD materials as well. Anything good quality that is a decent price makes me happy! Haha.

I use starburst dubbing all the time... sometimes as an additive to other materials to give more sparkle like this... https://youtu.be/HHdbAvfW0hk. and sometimes stand alone like this...

Very nice. Would also make a passable black nose dace pattern. I'll have to check out the cone head you used. I have them, not that particular brand, but don't use them because I haven't been able to get that smooth transition from head to body like you did. I've been thinking about tying up a crossover pattern, fathead minnow/killiefish. Your pattern will make a nice template. Just have to mix the high tying with the V tying. Another idea would be the Rosie Red which is a popular bait fish with the trout fishermen around here.