Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Husky9000

A quick thank you...

Since most of the flies I use are not commercially available, I do save money.

Rick

+1 on that!!!!!!

Here's another way of looking at it: When I first started out, I couldn't really afford to buy flies OR the materials to make my own, so, since my budget was so limited, I went with making my own because of the relative cost of fly materials vs finished flies--all things being equal, a given amount of money will buy far more raw materials than it will finished flies.

Now that I could afford to buy finished flies for my own fishing if I wanted to, I don't want to, because it's so much more satisfying catching fish on flies that I've created for myself. Aside from that, a great many of the waters I fish here in Michigan do not have fly shops anywhere near them. Even if they did, I'd still be relying on someone else to have exactly what I needed exactly when I needed it, and if there's one thing life has taught me, it's that that is a recipe for disappointment.

Also, I fish with some guys who are new to the sport, don't tie their own, and don't have gobs of money to spend on flies. It's nice to be able to give away a half-dozen or so from my boxes without thinking twice about it, since I have way more than I can use and they only cost me a few cents apiece to tie.