Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

9' 3wt shx build

Well for the record here is my thought on thinned lacquer as preserver.. It wets the thread and darkens like epoxy till it dries. When it dries the thread returns to it's normal color, in fact it gets a kind of clear candy look to it. Assuming the epoxy sticks well to lacquer, the thread should stay this color with epoxy applied. The trick I think is how much to thin the lacquer, it needs to be enough to seal the thread but not block up the strands so the epoxy can soak between them but not into the tread itself. It might take from 50- 75% thinner to accomplish that.

I got this idea from a guy in Maine, long since passed away. He tied Gray Ghosts with two coats of nail polish ( lacquer) over the floss body to preserve the color of the floss in water. He always re-thinned the nail polish in the bottles as it thickened from evaporation. He preferred it thinner than too thick as I recall, I know I do. I've tied my Gray Ghosts that way ever since seeing his Gray Ghost bodies lined up drying in his shop a dozen or 18 at a time. I caught my first salmon on one of his Ghosts nearly 30 years ago and still catch them with my own patterned after his, in fact recently. We were in Maine two weeks ago fishing with them sealed the same way..

Because epoxy chemically hardens vs air drying, the thread remains darker looking when applied directly. I've fished rods with just lacquer on the thread wraps and it holds up fine to the flexing and load, I would think all the more so with epoxy over it. I'm just going to have to conduct my own experiment, so jigged up a broken rod section to wrap a couple of guides up and finish in this way.