Fly Tying
mikechell

Driving around Richmond, VA

Literally, I drove AROUND Richmond. I started at the airport (East side) and headed north to Ashland. There I met with PowerShooter (Bo Hamby) and visited with him for about 4 minutes. He's having a birthday party for his boy (Happy first Birthday). The first thing I see when I get into his house is two kids blabbering and going after the same balloon. I was going to stay for a while ... I lasted 4 minutes.

Out of there, sorry Bo.

Then I went to Bass Pro Shop (11550 Lakeridge Pkwy. Ashland) ... just a couple of miles from Bo's house. As usual, crowded, nobody wanting to move out of anyone else's way. I walked around the White River shop for about two minutes while the attending employee sat and played with a fly on the tying desk. He got up to help a family that came in, so I moseyed my way back out and left the store. The fly shop has the usual materials and equipment ... pretty standard across the country for BPS.

Next stop was the Green Top Hunt and Fish store.

Just a mile or so down the road from BPS. (11550 Lakeridge Pkwy. Ashland) Busy, crowded also, with some kind of sales promotion thing going on. Tables set up at various places around the store ... none in the fly tying section. But wow! What a fly tying section. I've seen dedicated fly tying shops that didn't have as much material out on display. Very well stocked, average prices with a few things I am pretty sure are below standard prices. Plus they are currently having a 20 percent off all fly tying materials and reels sale. I had to shove my hands in my pockets to keep from buying stuff. I don't need anything, and I'd just have to pack it home. If you're ever in the area, you really should check out Green Top.

Then I drove to the West of Richmond and visited the Cabela's. (5000 Cabela Dr. Henrico)

Don't bother ... if you're going for fly tying or fishing stuff. Everything for fly fishing and tying was sitting in a 12' by 12' area ... maybe. Two rotating racks with fly rods and combos. Some fishing tools. Nothing for tying. Complete waste of time.

Last stop was to the South of Richmond ... Midlothian. While at Green Top, I saw a sign for Thursday night fly tying "meetings". So I went to the Steam Bell Beer Works, to see what was up.

Tom Cooper came out to talk to me. I asked him a few questions which he quickly and gladly answered.

I'm paraphrasing ... not actually quoting him ...

Q: Are there featured tiers? Or is there a "How to tie this fly" presentation?

A: No, everyone just brings what they want to tie. Sometimes someone will offer to help another tie a particular fly, but nothing organized.

Q: So, it's a meet and greet as much as a fly tying session.

A: Yes, sir. Everyone's here just to tie flies and talk with like minded people.

Q: I noticed this isn't a restaurant. Is there food at these meetings?

A: No, sometimes we'll order some pizzas, but we don't actually serve food.

Q: Good selection of beers on that wall. What about people who don't drink beer?

A: We have some selections of non-alcoholic drinks too. We usually have a few children here, tying along with their parents.

Q: What time? People start drifting in about 5:30, you know, after work. We normally close at 8, but if things are going well, we stay open for the tiers until about 9. We usually have 12 to 20 people show up.

So, if any of you Richmond locals are interested:

Every Thursday night, 5:30 to 8 or so.

Eat first ... bring a non-alcoholic drink, they don't have a huge selection.

Bring your tying gear and materials.

1717 Oak Lake Blvd _ Midlothian VA.

Depending on my work schedule ... I am going to attempt it on the 25th. It's close to 25 miles for me, with traffic more than an hour to get there. I don't know that I'll be able to do it.

interesting take on things. We're a lot more alike than you would think. I can tolerate small children, as long as they belong to someone else, and could probably have lasted 6 minutes.

Glad you were able to stop in Mike . I am going to try to make it as well to the brewery Thursday night . If not we will sit and tie before you leave Richmond . Hope others can make it to tie .

I know it's a long way for you, too. Farther than for me, even.

If we can get to the Steam Bell ... we can certainly meet somewhere up "here" on this side of Richmond.

JS ... I've always thought you and I would be good friends if we were near enough. Even if you were in the shallow water navy.

My sister and brother-in-law have lived in Richmond for about 30 years now. Ive visited there a couple of times. Its beautiful. Being a visitor there and just driving around to see the sights, I found myself on several what I thought were just highways until I came to a mandatory exit ramp and realized I was on a toll road. Next time I visit, I will take a sack full of change with me!

Joe

I know it's a long way for you, too. Farther than for me, even.

If we can get to the Steam Bell ... we can certainly meet somewhere up "here" on this side of Richmond.

Yes , it's 40 miles from me . I'll just meet you at classic subs . Lol .

That would work for me. I've never been there, but it looks to be right down the road from my hotel.