Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Mouse/Rat Swap

I'm going to try to get my wife or one of the many kids that come in and out of here to hold the shop vac under it while I'm trimming. That might just work. I know guys who put a hole in the table with a vac running up to it. I'm good at dropping little flies and when you do the hackle is extraordinarily good at bouncing them away from where they land. If I had a hole and a shop vac I do know where they'd go. Once, instead of outright vacuuming I put a fine screen over the nozzle and did a really thorough job. Amazing what I turned up for hooks, flies, beads, enough to do a swap right there.

ps...The mouse in the vise is not mine. Took a good look at it and know I used all red eyes, even on the ones not in my group picture. The other tip off is the tightness of the packed hair. Mine is much loose. I have some bugs and a couple of packed hair minnows that are so tight in packing and smoothly trimmed you could only believe it to see, and a couple of those came from board members who told me to fish them but they look too good hanging on the tying table to let a fish chew on them.

Figured out the name for the one I am tying. Master splinter. smile.png

That is a good pattern. If you have never used a fly like these you will love it.

Kevin

Figured out the name for the one I am tying. Master splinter. smile.png

Isn't that one of the Ninja Turtles? Oh wait, flashback time. Master Splinter is the rat (mouse) that trains them, right?

I had kids the right age when that first came on TV so I saw pieces of a lot of episodes.

Hope pictures show up for this. Am working on a full re-write, update and condensation of Steve's rules and stickies and am tempted to include SM's are liable for pics of their swap. Tempting. Sure makes the swap a lot more interesting for those not in it and may encourage some who are holding back to toss their vise into the fray.

By the way, nothing wrong with the stickies for this forum section but they were added to over time and I doubt they're read as often as they should be.

Nick

I had kids the right age when that first came on TV so I saw pieces of a lot of episodes.

Hope pictures show up for this. Am working on a full re-write, update and condensation of Steve's rules and stickies and am tempted to include SM's are liable for pics of their swap. Tempting. Sure makes the swap a lot more interesting for those not in it and may encourage some who are holding back to toss their vise into the fray.

By the way, nothing wrong with the stickies for this forum section but they were added to over time and I doubt they're read as often as they should be.

Nick

I think if your going to the pictures than the people getting in the swap can post a pic of what they are doing at the time of shipment.

Kevin