Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Dragonfly

I find that when bass are on to dragonflies, they aren't too pickey. When the bass are jumping out of the water trying to catch them in flight, they can be fooled by anything of the same size, shape, and color. I would just about guarantee that you will have to catch bass on it. When summer makes the water low & clear, dragonfly patterns are great.

QUOTE (TroutRuleBassDrool @ Mar 5 2005, 10:59 AM)
SD, did you use the needle method for tying the tail/lower body?

Anyway, that looks like it should be a powerful producer!

Nope, to be honest since this is the first time I have tied with foam or a dragonfly pattern I dont even know what the needle method is laugh.gif

I just tied a small strip of foam to the hook shank to give me something to keep the legs from rotating, then folded the foam and cut the body out so it would be a upper&lower body. sandwhiched the hook with the legs between the two pieces of the body and wrapped from the head to the tail and back again.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, since this is the first dragonfly for me it makes me feel good to see everyone likes it. cool.gif

BTW someone asked about the foam and where I got it. I took Wills advise and picked it up at walmart for .33cents a sheet on the craft section. They had 2/3/4mm....if i remeber i think this one was 3mm.

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Mar 5 2005, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (TroutRuleBassDrool @ Mar 5 2005, 10:59 AM)
SD, did you use the needle method for tying the tail/lower body?

Anyway, that looks like it should be a powerful producer!

Nope, to be honest since this is the first time I have tied with foam or a dragonfly pattern I dont even know what the needle method is laugh.gif

I just tied a small strip of foam to the hook shank to give me something to keep the legs from rotating, then folded the foam and cut the body out so it would be a upper&lower body. sandwhiched the hook with the legs between the two pieces of the body and wrapped from the head to the tail and back again.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, since this is the first dragonfly for me it makes me feel good to see everyone likes it. cool.gif

BTW someone asked about the foam and where I got it. I took Wills advise and picked it up at walmart for .33cents a sheet on the craft section. They had 2/3/4mm....if i remeber i think this one was 3mm.

I asked, I just went out and bought some foam, I had red, but red dragonflies are rare biggrin.gif

thanks