Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
R-Money

Need help identifying material (baitfish pattern)

Having never used a lot of the synthetics " they all look the same" to me, oh , sure some are bigger or have more flash; but right over there is another brand that looks the same. And when I look at the tied up fly pictures I haven't a clue what plastic was used. Only color is a difference.

I am positive that any synthetic used in tying flies was and is used primarily for some other reason, whether house insulation or tent fabric or wig making, the stuff was not consciously invented and manufactured specifically for such a tiny niche market as a particular pattern of fly. So the brand name stuff is out there labeled as something else.

figured it would make sense why I'm obsessing over finding the exact match to the material I'm looking for.

I could better understand it if it was a unique natural product like the dubbing used in Tup's Indispensible. (white fur from a ram's testicle with lemon-coloured fur from a spaniel and cream seal's fur with a small amount of yellow mohair.)

Or even the Chadwick's yarn used to tie old Sawyer's Bug.

Keep looking, and try asking the guy you got the fly from.