Fly Tying
fishinguy

Roll casting with a short 3wt.

So would an 8 1/2' rod or a 10'(Euro nymph) rod be better suited to single hand spey techniques?

The way I do it 8' is just right, my 8'6" rod over works me.

So would an 8 1/2' rod or a 10'(Euro nymph) rod be better suited to single hand spey techniques?

The very reason I bought the TFO Drift. It can be a 9ft 3wt, a 10ft nymph, an 11 ft or 12 ft single hand rod or switch rod.

Is it cheap, not really $400. But I feel it is money well spent with the versatility. It covers 95% of my needs.

Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking. Ordered an 8'9" 3wt Powell legacy xl off of STP. Gonna pair it with a Rio in touch single hand spey line.

8'9" 3wt rod, Rio single hand spey 3wt line, and Anglerdream Archer reel. In able to easily roll cast the 33' head, 8' floating orvis poly leader, and 5' if tippet right where I want it just about every time. Still working on my spey technique to maybe be able to shoot some line, but liking it so far. Even casting sz 6 poppers 45ft straight upstream. Overhand casts nicely too.