Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Deer belly hair

Mark Knapp -- (sorry, the "quote" function doesn't work on my work computer) --

Belly hair is desirable for spinning and stacking on floating bass bugs because of its propensity to take dye well and achieve brighter colors, as Capt. Bob pointed out above, but I would say the reason most hair guys prefer it for floating bugs is because of its texture and composition. It has little pockets of air in the stem of each hair, making it partially "hollow". This obviously aids in floatation, but it also makes the hair highly compressible. This means that it flairs severely when compressed by thread. It also means that spun or stacked bunches of hair can be tightly compressed with a hair packer to form a dense body.

Thank you.

It seems my expectations were unreasonable. Never thought much about how much hair is on the underside of a deer but it all makes perfect sense now. Yes it is hairline hair and I will be looking for another brand and I will be actually looking and holding it in the future.

I'll check out waspi in person next time the opportunity presents itself. Until then I'll just make smaller poppers. I'm thinking the hair on the top 1/3rd of a bucktail would work just fine if I need longer hair.

Thanks for the help and explanations everyone!

Pat Cohen for me to. You just need to call him when youre placing an order or make comments in the comment section when youre placing order about what youre looking for.

I think Ive ordered from him for times and Ive always been pleased with what I received.

Waspi has good hair too but I want to see it first hand I would not order it online unless I talked to somebody on the phone first.

I use to get all my dear hear from Chris but that was 15 years ago and have not dealt with that company since his passing .

I have a friend sending me some late season deer hides from Wisconsin (free), I'll let you know how long the belly hair is when I get them. I checked the belly hair on the Sitka black tails from here, they didn't have much white hair at all, it was just under two inches long though.

I got two northern deer hides in today, and a bunch of tails. On first look, the belly hair is softer and finer than tail hair. It's over two inches long. I have to flesh the hides but I will post pictures when I get them cleaned up.