Fly Tying
MontanaScott

About to build a portable bench - suggestions (and pics) appreciated

"Maybe you should...........build revolutionary new drift boat design. :=)) "

Thanks for the kind words Colin. YOUR drift boats are amazing. I'm not much of a boat builder...but maybe someday a collaboration?

Also, thanks everyone for your input. Time to start making some sketches and "drift" into the workshop once the -28 degree weather goes away.

RE> boat collaboration. I'm 70 and my eyes are shot to hell. Can barely tie. Use 5x jeweler's googles. The shop may be history. I can't tell when the screw gun is in the head of the Torx screw any more. So gouged fingers are common.

I do have a new boat I want to see built. All wood. No glue. Everything screws together over built-in-place glue-lam strips. Over marine caulk, so if anything breaks you just replace it.

And decked, like a white water boat. But low so you can step on step off. Still has hatches and dry storage below. Deck bolts down onto a 1" thick foam gasket, so the deck can come off (like everything else about this boat).

dayak.jpg

No one has ever built it. And now I can't. I need to find a boat builder. This would be a bigger, blown-up wooden version of this one.....with a point up front instead of square ended.

High sided drift boats are wind sails. The Oregon guys made them high sided so they could run big water. But if they're decked they aren't wind sails. And you can still run big water.

Charlie P-

Can you tell me about that round bin that seems to be attached to the base of your vise? I'll assume it holds your trimmed material scraps. Did you make it yourself?

Thank you

Richard

Charlie P-

Can you tell me about that round bin that seems to be attached to the base of your vise? I'll assume it holds your trimmed material scraps. Did you make it yourself?

Thank you

Richard

Here's the one I use Richard...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XP37YWP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Search "pinterest" for portable fly tying bench. Lots of ideas. I too make sawdust & get ideas for a multitude of projects there.

Scott,

My dad helped me bring my ideas to fruition 43 years ago. I still use it to this day. I have several other containers for storage and I sit at this bench at least once a week and sometimes 4 to 5 evenings a week depending on the season. While it is heavy, large and cumbersome it was portable, I could close it up, put it in the truck and head off to the next port of call. At 59 I believe it has found its long term home, my work & hobby room.

VpA6VaDh.jpg

Over the holiday my youngest son, 24, needed a portable tying bench. He is a chef and a guide and moves about the high country as the seasons change.

I put my past experience and some common sense to work and this is what i came up with. He is happy, he is bigger than me and younger than me.

MDlNyKJh.jpg

60EMeLih.jpg

oASjnH6h.jpg

The last text he sent from Leadville was a picture of a fly box that he is rapidly filling up and he said all was well! can't ask for more than that.

CADenali

Charlie P-

Thank you

Richard

It's a product that Peak makes. Fits any 3/8" stand. I made a 2" high roll of cardboard to stiffen it. Handy as all get out and placed perfectly to catch all the trimmings.

It's sold on Amazon or from dealers that carry Peak vices - but note that BOTH of the reviewers on Amazon are incorrect. DO NOT try and snap it onto the shaft. You have to remove the shaft and slide the bracket on initially. Thereafter you can pull the "prongs" out to remove it from the bracket to empty it. If it gets a little loose, pull the wire loop apart to open the loop up and then squeeze the prongs together to reposition into the bracket.

WasteCatcher-500x500-1.jpg

Here is the one I built about 11 years ago, works well but since then I have added more holes for tool holders and on the left side 2 springs that are screwed onto the top surface to hold flies white they dry. The light wood is actually a maple cutting board I picked up and cut the rounded edges off then I used the scraps of wood I had laying around the shop to make the rest of it. We are doing reno's right now so I will try and get a picture of what it looks like now in a day or two. But this is what it looked like newly built.

The front dowels hold one spool of thread each while the back ones are double height. The small holes on the right go into the upright so I can put put my bodkins and picks in those holes without having to worry about stabbing myself while moving it.

post-4114-0-35885800-1551909937_thumb.jpg

I found a simple but very effective bench on the Globalflyfisher.com site years ago. I modified it some and built three of them. Each one a little more "sophisticated" (and I say that tongue in cheek) than the previous. I also have links below the photo to the original bench I found on Globalflyfisher.

The main materials I got from Home Depot but the Trout drawer pulls I got from a fancy hardware store in my town. Mine is a good bit bigger than the one on Globalflyfisher at about 22" wide as I recall. It was bigger than my first two. The block of wood sticking out from the desk is the clamp plate for my vise.

This was the third one and I donated it to my TU Chapter to auction off:

original_fly_and_angle_desk.jpg

This is the one I modeled mine from:

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better-tying-tools/flexible-bench

How portable is portable? Would you take it with you on an airplane? Would you use it in a fishing lodge/cabin a few hours drive away? Or would you use it at streamside?

I've never tied streamside. But I have tied on a boat that was in a marina and I would fly-fish off the transom while in the slip. So, technically, just a few feet from the fishing waters. ;-)

Can just imagine the TSA agent poking through my tools box and giving the hairy eyeball to the scissors, razor knives, bodkins, etc.

I had one that I thought for sure was going to confiscate my P-38 can opener off my key-ring.

For those boat visits I would take a flexible zippered worm pouch (soft tackle) and put everything I needed for one specific pattern in each bag. Then I'd take two or three bags to the boat on weekends. If it was rainy I always had something to do.

Mentioning that - my tying still is portable (in that I don't have a fixed base desk that I use) and I have found the zippered bags used for documents, travel pouches or "pencil bags" are the berries for compartmentalizing soft storage luggage. Big ones for capes and ostrich plumes down to smaller ones for spooled materials or dubbing in zip-lock baggies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CK5NW5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JOQHE4K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DK2JSVS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1