Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CapeBSalar

Jungle Cock

Hi Guys,

Is anyone familiar with the import and export of Jungle Cock between the USA and Canada? I'm checking out the Cites website and it's like a big Haystack and I'm a little needle trying to find it's way through. smile.gif Can anyone shed some light on what the rules are?

Reason being is that since the last JC sale on the site fell through, I'm looking at securing some good capes via one of our Canadian distributors here. Want to see what the availability is like and the rules of export to the US before I make an offer. Seeing that I'm in need of a good cape myself and the interest that I saw on the site here awhile back looked like alot of the other members were in need as well, so I thought I'd try and hook us all up.

Thanks in advance.

Damian

Two months ago i ordered a jungle cock cape from england and I received it without problem. I live in quebec... I suppose that it should be the same thing with the USA.

I thought all that was needed was the necc. paperwork saying where it was bought from. I would think your vendor could come up with that for you CapeBSalar. Let me know if your able to get some and I might want to throw in with you. I hope this helps.

Jim

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how things work out. Hopefully I'll hear from them by tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers,

Damian

Damian, I don't know if this is related but the flies I sent you had Bronze Mallard. Migratory bird feathers over international borders? HMM I hope my duck stamp covers that.

Hmmmm...I wonder. I don't think there's an issue with Mallard. My patterns have Bronze Mallard and Blue Eared Pheasant in them so they are going across again when the packages are divided up? Oh well, if we get busted shaq maybe they'll put us in a low security cell block that has a fly tying club in it!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Migratory game bird feather sare legal to sell and ship anywheres within Canada and the USA as long as they are being used for fly tying or making of matteresses/bedding, that's what it says in the Migratory Game Bird Convention Act anyways.

A few years back a friend looked into ordering some jungle cock from Castle Arms and they said there was a special duty on exotics but it was the same fee if you bought 1 skin or 20. I don't know if they still have that or not.

Ken cool.gif

I would think it would be more expensive to buy from overseas with the duties and all. I am surprised that no one here in the US doesn't genetically raise 'em ohmy.gif Many other "exotics" are raised here...why not JC? By the way...what exactly is "jungle cock substitute"? dunno.gif

A.A.

QUOTE (appalachian angler (tn.) @ Mar 11 2005, 05:47 AM)
I would think it would be more expensive to buy from overseas with the duties and all. I am surprised that no one here in the US doesn't genetically raise 'em ohmy.gif Many other "exotics" are raised here...why not JC? By the way...what exactly is "jungle cock substitute"? dunno.gif

A.A.

I know of atleast two people that have gotten chicks and are raising them here in the NW- they will have capes I am sure in 1 or 2 years?. Not sure on growth rates.

Others across the US must be gearing up likewise to raise them- this bird flu is making them scarce ($$$$$) and it's gonnna get worse.Good investment.

davy

I've just received word from my supplier in Canada that they have a good supply of #1 Grade and Top Grade #1A available. They are sold out of #2 at the moment but are getting more in a months time. So if anyone is interested in a cape I will commit to ordering and distributing them at a fair price. This offer is in no way affiliated with flytyingforum.com

Please PM me to express interest and I will send you pricing on the above necks.

Cheers,

Damian

I didn't know there was a substitute for JC. j_k.gif I have tried the plastic type nail in the past and didn't like it at all. I've read about guys "marrying" two types of feathers also. It just doesn't look the same. Again...just IMHO.

Mike

Hi Damian,

I ordered two last year one from this source and another from a fly shop. The fly shop carried the same brand of cape, and I found the source to be a better quality. The capes were not the same grade, but I think the source was a lot cheaper.

http://www.fishermensfeathers.com/usa/junglecock.htm

I was very pleased with the necks I got. One grade A and one Super grade (presentation quality).

The Cites fee is included I believe as well or maybe added in but wasn't very much.

Jeff

Just curious, do you have an estimate on how many usable feathers on a 1/2 cape?

Cheers,

Michael