Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
uncletube57

Perdigon nymphs and switch rods

Since the virus scare has started and I am isolating in place, I have become interested in trying some perdigon nymphs. and maybe buying a switch rod . The rod would be totally different for me because you are supposed to spey cast them and from what I have read so far they are not very forgiving.  Still I am curious The flies are really simple to dress and look really good . I know that there are patterns that catch anglers  and sometimes not so many fish, but, what can I say ? I have to try anyway. The rod thing has my most concern. If I buy one that means that more than likely I will have to fish more big water as a 12ft rod is hard to handle on a small Ozark limestone spring creek.Look out White River!  Any suggestions are welcome. I have found a Reddington switch rod for a good price 12 ft 5 wt Baby spey, I am not sure of what kind of line to purchase? Skagit maybe?

\\

Hey Steve, just saw your post.  Was wondering how you were doing as I had not seen a post from you in a long while.  I had to rejoin the Forum after they went down as I couldn't get back on using my old profile.  I've been staying in too as this virus is too deadly on us old folks with existing conditions.  Let's get together for a day trip to Bennett when all this clears up.

Dave

Depending on size of fish you intend to target a  #5 switch is getting on for a heavy #7/#8 equivalent single hander. 

I use a 3-4 micro spey that Steve (midwest custom fly rods and mod on here) made me up. That speys lovely with a short head #7 single line and overhead with a #5. 

I fish small rivers for atlantic salmon and find this rod perfect for small tube flies and coneheads but not too big as a traditional spey rod. 

Makes playing the fish a blast too. 

I love my 12.6/5wt spey.  EXCELLENT FIRST CHOICE!  Absolutely love the feel of that taper.  Great rod for the White.

If you haven't made a selection on lines:  I'd recommend using one reel.  Back it and purchase a 35lb Lazer line by OPST for your running line.  On the end of the running line, put a large loop tied in a triple surgeon.  This loop should be big enough to slide a line-cassette through it.  As a beginner, you'll want a Skagit line.  Pronounced SKA-JIT not SKA-GET.  I personally like Rio heads and tips.  I've used OPST and RIO - prefer the Rio branded stuff.  The Skagit Max Short and Trout Spey Skagit are great lines.  You'll need a light to medium set of MOW tips to realize the full function of these lines.  Then you'll need some mono line to attach to the end as your leader.  I also like the Rio Trout Spey and Scandi Short heads for my lighter fly/delicate presentation work.  You can switch these heads out on the side of the river with that big loop I mentioned earlier.  One reel - separate line systems = different conditions.  If the water is slow, clear and the fish spooky - go with the trout spey or scandi short.  The Trout Spey head is developed to be a tweener between Skagit and Scandi.  I use this head 75% of the time.  Works great with both types of casting - Skagit and Scandi.  Super versatile.  I also carry a Rio Switch line for my switch rods, not my 12.6/5 weight.  It's a great nymphing line.  If you need to drop a nymph line, use a trout spey head.  It should work....but the mending will be a little tricky. :)