Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flykid

Blacker for Bann No.1

Here is the first of the series from William Blacker for the River Bann in Ireland. These are tied on a 3/0 Mustad Limerick with the eye chopped off and replaced with silk gut for historical and aesthetic purposes. This could certainly be fished. I may tie some of these on a simple eyed hook for fishing, they look like they'd be killer. 

Blacker for Bann No.1.JPG

Nice start, I knew little of Blacker's history other than his salmon flies and mixed wing's, that I had seen tied. He was also a credited with the first published detached body, "winged larva"(1848) and extended body trout flies, "India rubber mayfly" (1843) for sale in his shop. Additionally he was credited with the use of gut loops for salmon flies for jointed salmon flies with gut loop connectors.

Very interesting! I did not know he was credited with all of those accomplishments either. Sounds like he was quite an innovator in his time. I've been enjoying learning more of the history behind the flies and people who created them or brought them to people's attention. There's a lot of good literature out there!