Fly Tying
Alex C.

Sow Bugs

I noticed a w bugs fishing the othe day and thought I should have some in my box. All the patterns I've found are not what I am looking for. I would like it to be more realistic than impressionistic but I want it to be a fairly quick tie. Any suggestions?

Skunked...

In the spring/summer, I fish the Letort in Pa. I go out to visit my grandparents in the summer and they live about 10 mins away. The creek is full with sowbugs and i have used a rainy's sowbug. I think it is realistic but somewhat complicated to tie. I would also be interested in finding a new sowbug pattern that is realistic and easy to tie. I saw in the orvis catalog that they now make sowbug thin skin that is used for the shellback....

-bly

A sow bug Looks alot like a pill bug which has a cocoa brown segmented body

You might want to try fat shrimp pattern simular to the Mono shrimp but with brown latex and cocoa color dubbing

Bob

skunked.

Oliver Edwards has a good one. if you can get a look at his essential patterns dvd he weaves one up. It is pretty simple to tie and looks the part. Might be what you are after.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Cheers

Blake

Graham,

I wish I could take credit for it. These are screen captures from the essential Patterns DVD.

Cheers

Blake

WOW, nice patten I see them on the river out back all the time.Ill have to tell my son about that one.

thank you.

GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN cheers.gif

Hey all

I have those dvd's also and on an dutch forum i try as good as i can to tie em with some pics.

http://www.thefishcommunity.com/index.php?showtopic=3142&hl=

First part is the weaving,i need a third hand to do with the ostrich herls so i explain it with chenille.

The rest i did step by step by the dvd,sorry its in dutch but if u want i can try to explain it in english.

Klaas

I have been experimenting with the sow bug imitations for quite some time now. The grand river is infested with them and Ian Martin states in his fly fishing the grand river that sow bugs/isopods make up the majority of the trouts diet because its a readily available food source. Every rock I have ever turned on the Grand has had many of these Isopods. They are also the first nymphs to hatch in the Grand for opening season on trout. I am glad to see that what I have come up with is similar to that pattern displayed in previous responses.

Tightlines

apparently we have them over here too (local name for them is "water slaters") though I am yet to see them in any of the streams that I frequent.

pakito: I didnt tie it unfortunately. I wish I had the skills to be able to do it.