Fly Tying
Olalf

". . . this'll just be a fishing fly."

Folks, those words spoil it for me in salmon fly YouTube vids. Am I the only one?

If there are any vids intended to demonstrate the more artistic aspects of Spey and Dee dressing, without cheats and shortcuts, I haven't found them.

Alf in Iowa

32 minutes ago, umik1953 said:

Maybe the kind of folks who spend 8 or 10 or 12 hours on a single fly are not in it for the 'subs' and 'likes' on YouTube.

You might have the answer there.

Since salmon, reportedly, don't eat where most people fish for them, I fully understand the "Just for fishing" flies.  All that pretty "butterfly" stuff is for the anglers, not for the fish, so I don't get the angst.

3 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Since salmon, reportedly, don't eat where most people fish for them, I fully understand the "Just for fishing" flies.  All that pretty "butterfly" stuff is for the anglers, not for the fish, so I don't get the angst.

Oh I'm sorry; I ought have mentioned I'm an artist, not a fisherman.

I haven't really watched many of the salmon fly videos on Youtube, but have contemplated starting my own channel and creating such videos. Really, whether a salmon fly is for fishing or display shouldn't affect too much about the way it's tied, other than maybe taking a little longer to "perfect" elements of a display fly. Otherwise, construction should be the same if you are tying using classic methods. Even in a historical context though, each tyer had their own methods of achieving the desired end result. Whether a method would be considered a shortcut or not, I don't know. I understand your frustration though, it sounds like you just want to see an attractive fly tied correctly without skipping things or just saying "its good enough". 

As far as flies tied as a purely artistic endeavor, I would guess that there just isn't anyone doing that who has created videos of the process. There are many great artistic tyers, but there aren't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. I hope you find something satisfactory though!

On 9/23/2020 at 7:21 AM, flykid said:

ugh, it sounds like you just want to see an attractive fly tied correctly without skipping things or just saying "its good enough

Your whole response is well thought out and courteously presented, thanks. You did pretty well sum me up there about the "it's good enough". I might sometime say about one of my flies, "this is as good as I can make" but I just can't lower myself to ever say "this is good enough".

Heck, if even a beer bottle cap bent like a clam shell and with a hook attached will catch big northerns,  - certainly "good enough" - then why bother at all to tie a fly? Much less brag it up by making and posting a vid and then depreciating the fly's" worth" by telling the audience it's only just "good enough"?