Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chasing_Tails

Any info for southwestern PA for Thanksgiving week?

I'm going to be vising family next week in the southwestern PA area (Leechburg) and have a guide trip planned for one day but may go out on my own for a day or two as well. 

I'm bringing a 3wt/5wt/5wt/7wt/8wt and trout/steelhead flies.

Any streams/rivers in the area to try? I don't mind driving if needed to hit good water.

Thank you in advance!

you'll be about 2-1/2 drive from steelhead. From what I've heard the run is decent this year.  You'll be combat fishing, as it always is up there. 

The whole region has been fairly dry and not caught up with rainfall defecits---  waters across the southern portion of the state have been pretty low on average.   Here in southcentral Pa everything is still very low and clear. 

Sounds as if you should be bringing some leech patterns???  😆

Leechburg isn't what I would call southwester PA, its 25 miles north east of Pittsburgh.   The Pa Boat and Fish commission overrules me as they do say those counties north of Pittsburgh are in the the SW maps.  The map lists all the streams that are stocked,  have special regulations, and trophy trout.  This link might help:  To the SW information might help.  I have fished Elk and Walnut Creeks up west of Erie at this time of year, and there is a good run of Steelhead from the lakes. Yes it will be "Combat" fishing.  If you lucky enough to find a snowy day, that will limit the crowds somewhat.  

Very well. I didn't get out on my own and had to change my guide trip from Wednesday to Friday. Great day though. ended up sight fishing in a small tributary to running steelhead. 

I'll be going back up in the summer time so I will have to see what water to fish then.