Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Baby Crayfish Do Do Do-Do-Do

I'm working up a baby crayfish pattern for a secret expedition for huge trophy sunfish. The guy said "Make baby crayfish 3/4" to and inch long, green with orange tips. Here's what I have so far.

DSCF5912-X2.jpg

I started with a bigger one and then some smaller ones on size 10 and 14 swimming nymph hooks.

DSCF5919-X3.jpg

nice.  I took these four out of a   17" male (had a jaw) rainbow that was too badly gill hooked to return.  I caught it on a crayfish fly.  Which says something.  This closeup photo doesn't show it but these were small light brown crayfish.  Some locals tell me tan crayfish have just molted and therefore are soft.  Reddish crayfish have harder shells and are, supposedly therefore less desireable.

up-Four-crayfish.jpg

1 hour ago, salmobytes said:

nice.  I took these four out of a   17" male (had a jaw) rainbow that was too badly gill hooked to return.  I caught it on a crayfish fly.  Which says something.  This closeup photo doesn't show it but these were small light brown crayfish.  Some locals tell me tan crayfish have just molted and therefore are soft.  Reddish crayfish have harder shells and are, supposedly therefore less desireable.

Very cool. Yeah, the ones where I am going are dark green with orange edges and tips.

On 6/1/2021 at 4:46 PM, Mark Knapp said:

I'm working up a baby crayfish pattern for a secret expedition for huge trophy sunfish. The guy said "Make baby crayfish 3/4" to and inch long, green with orange tips. Here's what I have so far.

DSCF5912-X2.jpg

This is really cool. What materials did you make it with?

44 minutes ago, Iroc_Jeff said:

This is really cool. What materials did you make it with?

Hook, size 14 swimming nymph

Thread, 6/0 olive

Dubbing, fine olive rabbit.

Eyes, extra small dumbbell eyes

Claws, two small heart shaped male ring necked pheasant breast feathers.

Hackle, Ginger badger

Shell, one larger ring necked pheasant breast feather.

Very clever tie.  I like your choice of feathers.  There seems to be no end to what can be tied using pheasant. 

On 6/3/2021 at 3:59 AM, DarrellP said:

Very clever tie.  I like your choice of feathers.  There seems to be no end to what can be tied using pheasant. 

Thanks DP. I just got in an olive pheasant skin. Gunna tie up a bunch with that too.