Fly Tying

Just a quick and easy panfish pattern popular with warmwater fly fishers here in Louisiana.  The original is tied on a 1/100 oz jighead, but I prefer a jig hook with tungsten bead.  As it only takes a few basic materials and less than half a dozen steps, it's a good pattern for those just starting out.

Here's the link:

https://fatfingeredflytyer.com/cap-spider-fly-step-by-step/

Enjoy!

Chris

Step-5.jpg

Cap-Spider-proof-of-concept.jpg

15 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Obviously they like it. Would be a good carp fly.

Haven't tried it on carp yet, but the article that drew my attention to it years ago mentioned it working on freshwater drum.

10 hours ago, WWKimba said:

Love it!

Kim

Thanks, Kim.  Have you had the chance to try any in the box I sent?  Curious if they hold their own up in your neck of the woods as well.

Chris

It's a bit early for the hoppers yet.  Hope to get on the water in a couple weeks.  Last week I did make it down to Livingston Manor, NY to the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum though - great ride, great weather, some fine beer and food at one of their micro breweries and one more thing checked off my bucket list!

I'll let you know how things turn out.

BTW, if you send me your mailing address I'll send down a couple patterns for you to try - a couple of my own plus one from a one armed tyer from 1930's Utah that was WAYYYY ahead of it's time.

'Till then tight lines my friend.

Kim

1 hour ago, WWKimba said:

It6's a bit early for the hoppers yet.  Hope to get on the water in a couple weeks.  Last week I did make it down to Livingston Manor, NY to the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum though - great ride, great weather, some fine beer and food at one of their micro breweries and one more thing checked off my bucket list!

I'll let you know how things turn out.

BTW, if you send me your mailing address I'll send down a couple patterns for you to try - a couple of my own plus one from a one armed tyer from 1930's Utah that was WAYYYY ahead of it's time.

'Till then tight lines my friend.

Kim

Sounds like an enjoyable weekend.  The Catskill Fly Fishing Museum is only about an hour from my mother-in-law in Oneonta, so it is on my to-do list one of these visits.  Perhaps the micro breweries will entice my wife to join in as well.

I'll PM you with my address in a moment.  I really appreciate it.

Chris

It's a nice 2 1/2 drive for me.  One of those "tank of gas" 1-day trips to enjoy.  I ended up taking Rt 17 just a bit south of you MIL.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kim