Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eaglecreekcustom

Kid Run Business

Hi, I am Chase and I am 12. I run and own Eagle Creek Custom Flies. Eagle Creek Custom Flies is a kid run and kid owned business. I tie quality flies in the USA. We are here for you when you need to gear up for another trip or you need a custom fly. What is a custom fly? It is a fly pattern or color you can't find. We have a custom fly motto, "You want it, we will tie it." eaglecreekcustom.com

Thank for your support and have fun fishing.
Chase

IMG_5565.thumb.jpg.340af298152dcf9794a351bf2b989fb0.jpg

IMG_1254.thumb.JPG.e009ceeb1b3d0e611c036e31b91cbde4.JPG

IMG_3135.thumb.jpg.0dd6bab6b6bbf04ebb69f6587245be08.jpg

IMG_2882.thumb.jpeg.d47a8f35032d2f8262f21a46816be7f8.jpeg

IMG_0929.JPG

You have some excellent flies!

The business aspect- Do you need a business license? Collect local and state taxes? Pay federal excise tax on fishing tackle? Just curious as a lot of people start a home business but find some bumps in the road. Would not like to see you get into hot water over these issues. BTW, built custom fishing rods for seven years; had the tax collection and paperwork for it.

Hi Chase, welcome to the site. Always great to see young guys get involved in the sport so I don't want to discourage you from participating. Just so you know, we only allow business/sales in the trading floor section of the site, which you need to have a minimum of, I believe it is 40 posts to post sales in there. Since you are new to the site you probably were not aware of that.

With that said welcome aboard and enjoy the site.

On 10/9/2021 at 7:00 AM, skeet3t said:

You have some excellent flies!

The business aspect- Do you need a business license? Collect local and state taxes? Pay federal excise tax on fishing tackle? Just curious as a lot of people start a home business but find some bumps in the road. Would not like to see you get into hot water over these issues. BTW, built custom fishing rods for seven years; had the tax collection and paperwork for it.

Right now, we are working on the business license. We are in Oregon so their are no taxes.

Very good. But if you make/manufacture fishing tackle, flies included, you are still subject to paying federal excise tax as provided by the Wallop-Breaux Act. This has nothing to do with the state. Call the local IRS office on this. I built custom fishing rods for seven years and had to report my income and submit the appropriate tax money to the federal  government every quarter. 

Edit: Check with states where you ship merchandise. Many states require you to collect sales tax. I just checked on an item outside of Tennessee. The company is in another state and sales tax was added to a tentative order.

2 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Very good. But if you make/manufacture fishing tackle, flies included, you are still subject to paying federal excise tax as provided by the Wallop-Breaux Act. This has nothing to do with the state. Call the local IRS office on this. I built custom fishing rods for seven years and had to report my income and submit the appropriate tax money to the federal  government every quarter. 

Edit: Check with states where you ship merchandise. Many states require you to collect sales tax. I just checked on an item outside of Tennessee. The company is in another state and sales tax was added to a tentative order.

Sorry, 

I forgot to add that we have the taxes taken care of for shipping

14 hours ago, eaglecreekcustom said:

Sorry, 

I forgot to add that we have the taxes taken care of for shipping

its not the shipping taxes

its the federal excise taxes you have to pay quarterly to the federal government

Federal form 720

Form 720 (Rev. June 2021) (irs.gov)