Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ggmiller

Norlander bobbin help.

I recently got a Norlander bobbin and am having some problems with it. The first spool of thread went well, I was spooled the thread, put it together and it worked great. However, since then I cannot get the bobbin to work properly - no tension, etc.

If some of you are familiar with the Norlander, would you please explain how to get the

bobbin to work correctly for me? I know I must be missing a step somewhere, but cannot seem to figure it out. I do wrap the thread around one of the arms a time or two to put the necessary tesion on the thread.

thank you,

George wallbash.gif

Hey George,

Easy fix I believe. You have to remove the clutch mechanism from the spool and flip it over. When you put the spool and clutch together, it will only work correctly if you insert the clutch mechanism in the proper way. I heard Norm is going to start marking them soon so you don't have to figure it out. But the easiest test to c heck if you've done it right is to put it together, hold onto the sides and pull thread and see if it re-winds. If it does not, then you need to insert the clutch into the spool the other way (i.e. push the clutch out, flip it over and re-insert it.

Jeff

make sure the rubber ring on the spool is facing you and the thread on the spool is comming from the bottom of the spool. You'll have to figure out which way the clutch is working on the spool before you put it on the bobbin.just switch it around a few times.What I posted above works for me.You'll figure it out after a few trys,pretty easy once you know how it's done.

Brent.

When I change spools, I lay the old one on my bench, keep the same postion of the clutch hub and put the new spool on with the thread coming off in te same direction as the old one. Easy.

Happy Trails!

Ronn

Howdy,

I also just got the vise and the bobbin(s). One thing I read and learned (the hard way I may add) is if the tention wont stay and it wont re wind then simply turn the spool around on the bobbin. I found there is one way the thread has to come off the spool or it wont activate the clutch. Hope this fixes your problem.

TC