Fly Tying
Graham

Emerging Dragonfly 3rd Try

Hey Bud, I'm sure you are right. I guess it's the artistic side of me that wants the fly to look as cool as possible which conflicts with the desire to make flies as realistic as possible. Honestly, I'm new at both, less than a year trying to make realistic flies.

My first attempt was a dragonfly emerging with a wing still pulling out, but I now realize that is incorrect as well. Maybe on my next one I'll have two sets of wings, one fully developed and the other looking more like a dried prune, and depending on my mood, they can be changed, LOL, maybe a touch of velcro.

Thanks for the input Buddy,

Graham

First attempt;

user posted image

graham, my other post was not meant to disrespect your work in any way, i was just curious. what you have been posting here is truly awsome. i wish i could do something like this. i had watched that program and then was looking at the emerging dragon you made and just got my bell ringing as to what i had seem footage of. anyhows, great job as usual. i also like the eyes. what do you use for eyes. they look like they are alive and looking at you. Bud

Hey Bud, Thank you, no disrespect was felt by me. I was just looking at real dragonflies on a couple of great odonata web sites. I realize now the shape, leg placement, etc, all need improvement. I know what you mean, sometimes I try to give advice, although not expert adivice, to other tiers and later hope I didn't sound critical. Oh well, we are all friends admiring and helping feed each others passion for tying. good stuff.

For the eyes I used glass beads. I prefer using ones that have a silver reflective sleeve inside, makes em sparkle.

I truly appreciate your comments. In fact last week I was tying more glass bead buggers and your message asking if I was still in the house inspired me to try something unusual. I still plan on doing your red velvet ant.

And thank you steeldrifter.

Graham