Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Tri-Lobal Synthetic Hackle

Are you talking about the Orvis stuff?

yeah, saw a pic of some flys tied with it in their add in the spring fly tyer magazine. Looks like there'd be lots of possibilities with it. How much is it?

It's cool stuff to tie with. I tied a wooly bugger with it, and it's gone through 15 fish with out any problems. Rocky Mountain Flies has the same stuff, but it's like 5 bucks a pack. They need better colours, but it easy to use.

I've used it to tie some Wooly Bugger variations. Less seems to be better when you palmer it because it takes over the fly. I use a frayed mylar cord tail, crystal chenille body, this stuff as palmered hackle, and dumbell eyes to make it ride upside down. My friend calls it the "Pathetic Bastard". Works well on the warm water species here in north Texas. It is flashy and durable.

Hey Skunked,

You bet! I picked up a few packages at a show in Vancouver a few months back. The stuff comes in 3 sizes and 3 typles, I can't remember the exact names of the typles but some had holographic flash, the other had pealescent flash and the third was just a solid color. You can also mix and match 2 or 3 strands of the stuff, twist it together and you'll get a custom color. Pretty cool.

I've tied some scuplins, buggers and leeches with it so far. Looks pretty good.

Keep you eye on the upcoming issue of Hatches magazine, there is a sculping pattern in there "Joe's Sculpin" which uses this material.

I don't know who markets this stuff in the States, but here in Canada, you can get it through any Superfly dealer.

Cheers,

Nick

Old thread but looking for some fritz led me to look online at some tri lobal hackles. Have they moved on in 9 years or are they still a core that is often obvious with sparse bits coming off?

I like the idea of them for bait fish instead of a body and a palmered hackle.