Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Definately gonna have some zonker strips!!

The lady I got my arctic fox from sent me some pics of dyed rabbit skins and I ordered a couple, she told me she was sending me some extra ? for being a good customer. There was a mix up and I was one black skin short. Not only did she send me the black one but five more for messing up my order. Here's all of them.

Black
100_7420.jpg
100_7421.jpg

Red and Natural
100_7423.jpg

Blue and Cobalt Blue
100_7418.jpg

Black with green - hard to see in pics
100_7422.jpg

Gonna have a lot of zonkers!!!!!!

Cold that's exactly what I do!!LOL Got my own grinder and have learned a lot about mixing from folks from many boards. Didn't much like the wet mixing method when I tried it.

Striper - I originally saw the video on youtube for a zonker strip cutter and all I could think of is good bye fingers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWSpL22RuA

So I made my own, I did change it and added another mid size washer in the front on both sides to better protect the fingers

100_7190.jpg

100_7125.jpg

Couple days later I finally found double edge razor blades, and made another one

100_7250.jpg

And a couple of small ones as I get scrap fur bags from Hairline, the blue one is the case from the mini box cutting blades

100_7258.jpg

100_5864.jpg

put the edge between two craft boards and clamp to a table, stretch and slice. Make sure your vacume cleaner canister is cleaned out and slowly suck the loose hair off of them, pull them from the boards finish splitting and then bag em up.

100_7139.jpg

100_7141.jpg

Just take your time and you can cut up lots of strips, either straight cut or cross-cut. You can also check good will stores for used furs if you can find them cheap enough.

Good deal Fatman! smile.png

I've come to prefer cutting my own since I can vary the width.

That dark green looks real nice! Hard to find that color at reasonable prices! wink.png