Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rotkäppchen

excited flytier to be

Hi there everyone.

I'm originally from Germany, but have been living in the UK for the last five years.

I am not a flyfisher myself, but my boyfriend is a very keen one indeed. Because of that I've been watching some / hearing a lot about it / read literature on it, and it seems like a fascinating sport. Now I thought it would be nice to tie some flies for him as a present, and this seemed like a good place to look around at other fly tiers work and pick up some tricks of the trade :)

Wow ... your boyfriend is one lucky guy. I love my Wife, but she doesn't tie flies for me.

Good luck and you are definitely in the right place. There are tons of good advise people here.

Willkommen!

I'm guessing you are a redhead? If I'm right, the flies you tie for him should have red heads. That way they'll be personalized.

And by all means, post pictures of them. We'd like to see what you come up with.

Good luck.

I can't get my wife to go fishing much less tie anything. Your boyfriend is one lucky fellow! He needs to hurry up and put a ring on you before you get away! LOL

YouTube and any other videos that are tying flies may be your quickest learning curve acceleration - fastest way to learn how to tie. I know a guy that just started and he tied some nice flies in the first year of his tying. He told me he just watched YouTube and other fly tying videos - then tied the flies.

Identify the flies you want to tie - then Google YouTube or other videos of tying. Good luck.

BCT

I agree with the bellevue on the Youtube angle. Most folks here will tell you: first figure out what 2 or 3 kinds of fly you want to tie, then concentrate on Googling those, lest you get overwhelmed with the huge variety available. I'd also suggest going to Google Images for you fly of choice (e.g., hopper fly, or streamer fly). Include the word "fly" or you'll get a lot of irrelevant hits. In Images, you can find a few that you really like, and then go to Youtube for assistance. Even then, the Youtubes vary a lot. There's one set of videos where the tyer spends half of the video drinking coffee and talking, before he even puts a hook in his vise. But some are really excellent learning tools.

Thank you very much for all your kind words everyone :)

That seems like a sound idea; the variety is indeed mind-boggling!

Will definitely start checking out a few videos before sitting down and giving it a try.

Thank you very much for all your kind words everyone smile.png

That seems like a sound idea; the variety is indeed mind-boggling!

Will definitely start checking out a few videos before sitting down and giving it a try.

YouTube is your friend. I cannot imagine trying to learn fly tying from a book!