Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jfinn

Driftless Region

Hey just wondering if anyone on here has fished the driftless region i will be trying it out for the first time this fall, really it will be my first time fishing for inland trout any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

:) yeah, prepaired to be spoiled!!There is seemingly endless acess to most streams in the wi. part of the driftless region.Most streams are small but there are plenty of huge trout .I have caught plenty of trout in early a.m. on streamer patterns and have had great success with terrestrial patterns the rest of the day.Lots of scuds,caddis, olives also.For lodging try the campground in Avalanche on the West Fork of the Kickapoo or the campsites on Timber Coulee.Have fun and great fishing!!

I heard a lot how fishing in the Driftless Region is supposed to be like no other - though I do not fully get why is it so. Could you give an uninformed European a little info about what makes the region so special? I read the name relates to icebergs, though I fail to understand its relationship to trout fishing.

I heard a lot how fishing in the Driftless Region is supposed to be like no other - though I do not fully get why is it so. Could you give an uninformed European a little info about what makes the region so special? I read the name relates to icebergs, though I fail to understand its relationship to trout fishing.

It's called the "driftless" because, during the last ice age, glacier movement- drift- missed this area. Thus the hilltops are not rounded, and the countryside is full of beautiful hills and valleys ("coulees"). All the streams are spring-fed, running cold and clear. They are not big, but are very rich in stream life and trout cover. Hire a local guide for your first outing there. The more popular streams can be crowded on weekends, and there is a lot of water where you can fish undisturbed- if you know where to go!

Chuck

flycaster what streams have you personally fished out there? i have attempted mount vernon and a few others

I live here in the driftless region.

Don't bother coming to fish here, there are no fish :)

You may want to try the other side of the river. I always heard there are a lot of fish in Iowa and Minnesota.:)

Seriously, there is a lot of great fishing here.

PM me when you head this direction, I can show you a couple of local holes.

I live here in the driftless region.

Don't bother coming to fish here, there are no fish :)

You may want to try the other side of the river. I always heard there are a lot of fish in Iowa and Minnesota.:)

Seriously, there is a lot of great fishing here.

PM me when you head this direction, I can show you a couple of local holes.

Whoa, Coulee Fishing... there's super fishing htere for the legendary Wisconsin spotted dace! :P

Seriously, jfinn, my experience in the region is not very extensive. The "big" names, like Timber Coulee and Spring Creeks, and the West Fork of the Kickapoo, are excellent but can be busy on weekends. If you don't mind exploring on your own, get a Wisconsin DNR trout stream map, and just drive around checking them out. Sometimes what looks like a little creeklet by the road may open up up or down stream.

Chuck

Driftless region is fantastic....dont be afraid too explore. It seems every valley has a stream full of trout....a little research and a few maps and books and you are there. I will be there the second week in May working my usual beats and finding a few more! Cannnot wait :yahoo: By the way, there are some great hatches on these streams. Make sure you are prepared for the season you fish.