Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NTS

Drop Fly

How to tie on a drop fly onto a fly line ? What combination would you use like egg and nymph ?

improved clinch knot off bend of hook.

I usually fish a small pt or hare's ear or midge off an dry fly.

there are a number of successful combinations you can try.

mgj

I used a drop fly for the first time the other day. I tied the second fly onto the bend of the hook of the first fly. I read some place that the first fly should be larger, so I used a Deceiver rip-off that I tied for fly #1 and a small bucktail as second. This cast really well and my casting is not that good - no tangles whatever.

Question I have is how far apart should they be? Min were about 8 inches apart. Also, is this more effective than a singleton fly?

Thanks for bringing this up,

dc :)

Hi NTS,

I fish a lot of 2 fly rigs and the system I use is a Uni Knot (or a Clinch Knot would work as well) tied to the tippet in front of the "indicator fly." I then slide the knot tight against the eye of the indicator fly. My droppers vary from 18 to 36." The reason I put the knot on the tippet in front of the indicator fly is I can slide the knot up the tippet so I can change the indicator fly if I want. I know you can loosen the knot around a hook bend but I seem to have a heck of a time doing so. When I rig 2 wet flies, I tie the dropper off the bend of the hook of the point fly. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com