Fly Tying
COMike

Boots.....oversised for waders but what if you don't take the wade

Hi Folks!

I purchased my waders and am VERY happy with them......however, I also purchased my boots to fit the stockings on them.

The boots I got were Simms G3's and I LOVE THE SUPPORT.....

However, I cannot get the same feel on the boots w/o the Simms Waders in them.....

I had to upsize to accommodate the waders.......

These boots were the BEST feeling boots for me EVER......so if I fish without waders how do I make them work for me?

Can I use them , they were expensive .....or should I look for something else????

Mike :)

Buy neoprene wading socks. You can get them at Cabelas and similar stores.

They come in two thicknesses: 2mm and 3mm.

Just remember that "These boots were the BEST feeling boots for me EVER" includes the waders. You'd probably feel as good in a lesser pair of boots as long as you also had the wader material in there. Lets you cinch down the boot more without feeling crushed.

Fetter's suggestion ... wading socks will probably do.

You could also look into insulating wool socks for deep winter temps (-30F). These will be super thick and might be less expensive.

They also might be heavier when wet.

Good luck.

Get the neoprene socks. That's what I do with my Chotas. One bit of advise, though, be sure to wear a pair of regular socks inside the neoprene socks. If you don't it will be almost impossible to get them off!

Mike, I use the neoprene wading socks from Cabelas. They work great for me when I don't want the bulk and warmth of waders but I do want the stability of my wading boots. They cost me like $14, very much worth it.

I don't wear regular socks under mine. They do fit very tight to your feet when they're wet, and I used to have a heck of a time getting them off, then I discovered that it you just start at the top and "peel" them off so that they're inside out when you're done, they come off quite easily that way. It's all a matter of preference, though. I just can't abide the feel of wet cotton or wool on my skin. :)

Cheers,

Bryon

Is this you guys still wading but the waters warm? Wow maybe global warming will kick in soon for Scotland laugh.png

Mike, if you mean wear your boots for non wading duties then beware if you went with the felt sole, deadly on wet grass without studs.

Thanks Everyone!!!!

Buy neoprene wading socks. You can get them at Cabelas and similar stores.

They come in two thicknesses: 2mm and 3mm.

That is what I was looking for! When I was stationed in Okinawa Japan we did a ton of scuba diving and walking along the shore. It is all reef/volcanic rock and used felt bottomed "booties". If I could have used just the neoprene I would have had a solution. Thanks for cluing me onto this!!! I have a Bass Pro Shops just 3 miles from the house so Ill check there first. Cabela's is 30 min North so Ill check there if BPS doesn't have them.

Just remember that "These boots were the BEST feeling boots for me EVER" includes the waders. You'd probably feel as good in a lesser pair of boots as long as you also had the wader material in there. Lets you cinch down the boot more without feeling crushed.

Fetter's suggestion ... wading socks will probably do.

You could also look into insulating wool socks for deep winter temps (-30F). These will be super thick and might be less expensive.

They also might be heavier when wet.

Good luck.

Excellent point Mike! I tried a few other pairs at the Fly Shop but the Simms felt the best. The didn't have any less expensive ones so I couldn't try them out. The Neoprene makes sense because the sides of the boots would not "pinch".....

Get the neoprene socks. That's what I do with my Chotas. One bit of advise, though, be sure to wear a pair of regular socks inside the neoprene socks. If you don't it will be almost impossible to get them off!

Good point as well! I usually wear liner socks when hiking so I will use them when trying the boots with the neoprene socks.

Mike, I use the neoprene wading socks from Cabelas. They work great for me when I don't want the bulk and warmth of waders but I do want the stability of my wading boots. They cost me like $14, very much worth it.

I don't wear regular socks under mine. They do fit very tight to your feet when they're wet, and I used to have a heck of a time getting them off, then I discovered that it you just start at the top and "peel" them off so that they're inside out when you're done, they come off quite easily that way. It's all a matter of preference, though. I just can't abide the feel of wet cotton or wool on my skin. smile.png

Cheers,

Bryon

Thanks Bryon,

You nailed EXACTLY what I was trying to get at...I need the support from good boots. Just had ankle reconstruction back in December so the support is a must for me. However, there are days where I will fish w/o the waders and this way I can still use the supportive features of the wading boots!

Is this you guys still wading but the waters warm? Wow maybe global warming will kick in soon for Scotland laugh.png

Mike, if you mean wear your boots for non wading duties then beware if you went with the felt sole, deadly on wet grass without studs.

LOL Piker! Yeah felt soles on wet grass is a NO NO! I have the solid soles not the felt ones. We have an issue with various critters that can be transferred between bodies of water here and I don't want to do that.

I think there is some recent work suggests the felt transfer thing a bit of a red herring. Helped the boot makers sell the 'new' sticky soles but hasn't made any impact on ecology of watersheds.

I have seen some similar things Piker but I am not willing to take a chance.

What I like about the soles (read non felt) is that they are easier to hike into spots I will be fishing. Living in the Rockies here the Vibram type soles are better for the hikes from the Jeep to the streams I will be fishing.

I do know that the Zebra Mussel...invasive species in the west here....is a REAL issue. I always pressure washed my boat to prevent any cross contamination if it were to happen. As far as with felt soles....who knows but the majority of folks I have talked with here say it is "better to be safe than sorry".

If you find the vibram soles keep you stood up ok in the water then there is no reason to take a chance I agree.

I would love to have the confidence they will last a good number of years. Many wading boots seem to be short time items. Or maybe you only hear bad reports

God I hope the boots aren't a short time item!!!!! Wife would literally KILL ME!!!!!

My cheap boots are going fine, been 5 maybe 6 years. I use mine in salt and fresh and don't care for them other than drying well. Replaced the studs but that's expected. I would love a better pair of hiking type wading boots but the longevity puts me off.

Thank Piker.......If I get 4 - 5 years out of these boots I will be VERY HAPPY!!!!!