Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Whitner

Tarpon like shrimp?

Great looking flies, may just bring in the winning first tarpon of the 2014 tarpon contest. Is that a craft fur collar?

Tarpon eat shrimp of every size.... day or night. Some of the guides I've tied for in the past always made a point of having their favorite patterns in two sizes to take advantage... Either in a 3/0 and a 1/0 or in a 4/0 and a 2/0. That's been particularly true in places where the fish are heavily pressured...

Here's my version of that classic Cockroach pattern...

post-30940-0-49225200-1399114691_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-32810300-1399114705_thumb.jpg

I agree about the tarpon loving all sizes of shrimp. On more than one occasion I have had one nearly spool me when tossing a plastic rout jig for trout. That will leave your hands and shaking and knees buckling for a while.

Nice looking flies, I like the craft fur collar

Clean and simple flys guys, my experience with tarpon is limited but the flys I used where simple bunny strips with deer hair heads in FL and a large bucktail fly in Puerto Rico lagoons. These are sweet looking, thanks for giving me some ideas.

Good looking flies guys. Not trying to hijack the thread, but the Facebook group "Saltwater Fly Tying" often features some pretty amazing shrimp patterns. The Scandinavians in the group are particularly adept. I guess the sea trout over there like to eat shrimp.