Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dflanagan

City park fishing

Over the last year the city I live in has been cleaning up the pond in one of the parks. They dredged it, put in some new rock walls, and repaired a waterfall. It's an old park and hasn't been open to public fishing for 40 years or so. Before draining it, it was full of carp and turtles. Starting last fall they relocated all the carp and stocked it with channel cat, hybrid bluegill, and largemouth bass and last weekend they opened it up to catch and release fishing. I wasn't expecting too much from it but since I had a little time to kill I dropped by with the 4 wt Steve built for me. The first fish was a decent little bass that gave me a better fight than any of the five and six pound bass I've ever caught. The last hour or so I couldn't keep bluegills and redear sunfish off my fly. Good way to spend a couple hours.

post-59660-0-17341700-1492887626_thumb.jpg

Yes, sir, he did. He made a few runs where I was sure he would break free but the 4x held. Had to bend my hook back into shape once I got him off. Unusual for the bass around here. Can't wait to get some of the big girls when I make it to my usual bass lake.

Definitely, a nice way to spend a couple of hours. Also shows just how far a good water management plan can go.