Fly Tying
FlyFishin'Jam

Any ideas for articulated or intruder storage?

I have been keeping my intruders in just a compartment box all loose, but when i am on the water i pull one out and they are all attached to each other in some horrible big ball of fur and flash.

I also tried in a regular fly box, but they all flip around and mash all the other flies in the box. Once again it is like a big ball of fur.

Any cheap ideas? I think i saw a cliff box but it is pretty expensive.

Go to your local fabric store, buy dense thick foam, about 1/2 inch, cut slits with an xacto knife, find a box, plastic pistol boxes from Dick's sporting Goods will work. And mimic the cliff box ... hope that works man, I will take a donation of 10 flies for my wealth of knowledge if used haha. Good luck SO

I have been keeping my intruders in just a compartment box all loose, but when i am on the water i pull one out and they are all attached to each other in some horrible big ball of fur and flash.

I also tried in a regular fly box, but they all flip around and mash all the other flies in the box. Once again it is like a big ball of fur.

Any cheap ideas? I think i saw a cliff box but it is pretty expensive.

I have used large straws cut to length of the intruder. Sometime the straw need to be split down the middle to fit the intruder depending on the size of intruder you are using. Or they can just be slide inside the straw after they are cut to length. Just place them inside and lay them in your box or in a bag.

Cabellas sells a nice big fly,fly box..it has foam inside with pre cut slots and also has a foam fly holder on the outside, i like mine alot plus it has a nice handle.

Here is what I came up with. I made some clips out of stainless wire and inserted them in a slotted foam box. I hook the eye Of the fly over the wire, then insert the hook in the slot as usual.

These aren't Intruders but it works the same with any large articulated fly.

MOALs.jpg

Wire clip

wirehook.jpg

The stub of the wire digs into the foam and keeps it from pulling out.