Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rampratyow

Dry Fly

I am new to this have done one swap already and would like to try to do one, so with that being said, how about a dry fly but,,,,, there is always a but I live in Canada so anyone interested lets say 14 people and due date to be determined later. headbang.gif

Ottawa but with just you and me it may not be that good although we could pick 5 or 6 patterns each and do it that way or if you know anyone else in t.o. that may be interested i have a couple of friends here that may do it anyway pm me and let me know headbang.gif

Great we have a swap let me know what flies you will tying lets say a due date of may 23 but with 3 of us that could be pushed up sooner or made later we have some room to play here James P.S. just wanted to make sure every one knows how this works.

I'm going to be away from my computer for about a week, but I'll get busy on some drys and catch up with you fellas next week about the finer details of the swap. There has to be more guys from this area who want in!? Keep yer stick on the ice.

I'd like to join in this one provided the due date isn't too soon. I have to travel to WInnipeg so will be away for a bit. But, I plan to take my vise with me and do some tying in the evenings so may be able to get it done sooner if needed . Not much else to do except to keep warm ph34r.gif

I want to tie some Tom Thumbs for myself, so if they are OK I'll tye them for the swap. Is size 14 OK for everyone?

Jim

Any size dry fly, I will leave that choice up to the individual the due date if it is ok with everyone will be may 23 will wait a week and hopefully everyone will have chosen a pattern but as people choose their patterns I will list them for all to see thanks

so far

James Mayfly

Julie Bumble bee

Walker Humpy

Tom Ausable Wulff or Haystack

Mcfly Brown Wulff

Barfly Tom Thumbs

there are a set of rules for the swaps on the swap page but the jist of it is as follows you tie a pattern with enough flies for evey person in the swap, the flies get mailed to me then I sort them and mail one fly from each tier back to everyone so if we get 14 then we get 14 flies back so far we have 6 that have joined. Also I have noticed that at least two of you are from the states so you will not be able to buy return postage in the states back from Canada so I have a plan when you send the flies up from the states put in enough stamps for the flies to be shipped back from upstate New York I will drive over since I do not live far from the border and can get them cleared thru customs there and will mail them from Masena (hope that is how you spell it) James

Thanks for the update James,

I was wondering what would be the best method for mailing the flies across the border. Thats a great idea about coming across to mail them, It's not too much trouble for you is it (I hear the wait in customs can be a bear at times)? I think Pujic is also from Canada, he has been in many of the swaps, maybe he may have some other ideas as well.

I admire the work of Fran Betters from upstate NY. So on that note I'll tie either the Ausable Wulff or the Haystack. The haystack us one ugly looking fly however I must admit I have had great luck with it.

Tom

I just sent a batch of flies to the US. When I got to the post office I was told that the US now wants all mail that is not a letter to be sent as small packet. This means that it will have to go through US Customs, so delivery will likely be much longer. I guess it will depend on how long they are stored before processing.

The other bad thing was that the rate to send the flies via small packet airmail was $5.05. A couple of weeks ago, when I was still able to send flies as lettermail, the cost was $1.50 and they went airmail also. dunno.gif

Flies coming to Canada take about 1 1/2 weeks for delivery.

It is starting to become costly for shipping across the border. I bought a couple of books from the US and had them mailed to me. The $75.00 US cost for the books was up to $135.00 Cdn by the time they were delivered.

I know that I will be looking for Canadian swaps more and more. Thanks for running this ones James.