Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Soda Can Minnow

I saw something like this decades ago. With American Shad season coming up here in Paradise, I want some shiny, tiny flies. This fit the bill.

Recipe: Soda can, hook, congo hair, thread and superglue.

Make a template with heavy card stock. Draw the apporpriate shape to fit the hook.

Leaving enough material to wrap the hook, draw a "centerline" through the card stock. Push hard enough to leave an impression.

Fold on the centerline and cut out the pattern. This will give you a symmetrical shape to trace from.

Carefully cut open an empty soda can. You can make this fly a color, just by selecting the proper soda can. I'll be using the inside, for the shiny aluminum.

Using the template, draw the shape on the aluminum. Then carefully cut out the shape. You'll want a sharp pair of scissors, and they need to be able to cut aluminum. You can purchase mechanic's scissors, but any good pair will do ... just keep them for this purpose only.

Loosely fold the aluminum over the hook, ensure correct positioning, then crimp tight.

remove and set aside.

Start thread, wrap back and tie in tail material. wrap forward and secure. Apply superglue to all thread. This is the base for the minnow body.

Using superglue and a clamp (hackle pliers, in this case), position the body and glue in place.

You can add eyes if you want ... I might, but I haven't decided, yet.

Allowed to fall on a semi slack line, this fly flutters like a leaf falling from a tree. Flash galore!!!

Mike, that's cool. Fairly easy to make and it looks like it will get the job done. You did a good job explaining the steps too. Now my wife is going to wonder what I am up to when I go get that caffeine free Coke can that I just emptied...

More than that, she's going to wonder what happened to her best scissors.

Great idea, Mike. Thanx.

Haven't seen this technique used in years. Over 30 years ago when the pop tops had the old design pop top people thru in the can and then choked on, we were using these for just what you're showing. The top was just right to trim slightly and fold over a hook with epoxy. Never did add a tail but that's a great idea. Time to use these was shortly after spawn in spring when the bull gills were feeding primarily on recently born nephews and nieces. We'd dab red eyes on them, toss them out and let them flutter, then do a hand crawl with occasional stop and starts. Crappies never turned it down either but never got to try them on shad or sand bass tho I see no reason why they shouldn't work.

Kind of funny but I'm cleaning out the shed and digging out and sorting years of accumulation for a big spring sale of tackle and ran across a couple of those I'd done that have to be a few decades old like you said.