Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Streamers for Steelhead

Anyone fish streamers for steelhead when they're in the rivers? Which ones have been the most productive for you and in what color combos?

For Ohio rivers absolutely; I read an article (and talked to Jerry recently) about Feenstra and Darkes regularly putting clients on fish with streamers. The color palette obviously changes depending on the water stain, but generally the natural colors (browns, tans, greens) tied in 'sculpin-like' patterns have done very well for me when conditions were right. I suppose you could also say the Foxee Ba$tard could be used as a streamer and I caught a large majority of my steelhead last season on them... :dunno: Another thing that has done well for me has been to dead-drift streamers, the fish seem to love it...easy pickins in their mind maybe?

post-1948-1160014282_thumb.jpg

I use a 6-2 bigger than that I go with tubes or articulate a size six hook to a cut off 4 6x long with 30 lb backing like the pic. Iff you look close in the back, you can see the loop of backing and the hook hanging lower than the vise.

Purple, black, and olive zonker styles have worked great for me this year so far. All have tungsten coneheads.

I use the purple and and black ones on overcast days and the olive ones on brighter days. All have a good amount of flash too.

Sculpins in browns and olive shades are great too.

Woolybuggers and egg sucking leeches produce every year as well.

Black with a pink egg is my favorite with an orange head a close second.

Chip

Good Day,

Check out the Autumn 2006 issue of Fly Tyer. The article pertaining to this subject is "T-Bones for Steelhead" on page 40.

Steelie