Fly Tying
mdraft1

Finn Pike Streamer

hey man! Could you ellaborate on how you tied in the bead rattles and how they work exactly?

I saw this pattern and tied up a few patterns with a piece of mono in the tail, bured at one end to keep several beads on to "click and rattle in the water". I also placed a few beads on the actual piano wire weedguard to click and rattle also...any suggestions advice in this manner would be greatly appreciated. :)

hey man! Could you ellaborate on how you tied in the bead rattles and how they work exactly?

I saw this pattern and tied up a few patterns with a piece of mono in the tail, bured at one end to keep several beads on to "click and rattle in the water". I also placed a few beads on the actual piano wire weedguard to click and rattle also...any suggestions advice in this manner would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hey, sorry for the delay in getting back with you. To tie in the rattle I start with a piece of stiff wire and tie it in first. It gets tied in on top of the hook just in front of the hook bend. I also use a small pliers to bend the tip of the wire to keep it from slipping out. Next pull the wire back and tie the fly. When everything looks good, simply thread the beads on the wire, bend it forward, and tie it down just behind the eye of the hook. You can put a bend in the wire for the front as well. It helps to keep things from pulling out.

The theory behind putting a rattle on a fly is to attract fish via their lateral line (the series of nerves located on the sides of fish). The rattle lets the fish "feel" the fly should the water be stained or just as an added feature on a fly. You could just as easily thread beads on a mono weed guard with the same effect. The above fly uses wire along the top of the fly because it will be fished in open water.

Hope this helps!