Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mtyburski

New Squid Fly

I started tying flies about 8 years and started with popping bugs for bluegill. About 3 years, while fishing some ponds for largemouth, I thought of a fly that might work pretty good for bass and made it with an epoxy body, silicon legs for the rest of the body, and added to some eyes to it. These squid flies were tied a few days ago and were inspired by my older patterns using epoxy for the main body.

post-53025-0-03600800-1429468728_thumb.jpg

post-53025-0-30539100-1429468779_thumb.jpg

post-53025-0-78657900-1429468802_thumb.jpg

post-53025-0-14430100-1429468845_thumb.jpg

post-53025-0-05547000-1429468941_thumb.jpg

Those are incredible! I never heard of a freshwater squid, but if the bass don't care, then why should I? I suspect they'll love them! That one deserves a SBS, and put it on the FP database.

wow dude ! Those are fantastic!! what is the body interior made from? I'd love to see a SBS on those .

We fly tiers are conditioned to think in terms of imitations, but sometimes the most outlandish things work better. The Royal Coachman, for instance, isn't much of an imitation of any known real insect, is it? Being a deep southerner, I'm not entirely sure, but I've never heard/read about it. Yet, it's a very popular pattern anyway. There's just no figuring out what'll make a given fish bite on any given day. Imitations work, of course, and probably better than anything else on a day to day basis, but sometimes .... well, ya' just have to scratch your head and wonder. Keeps it interesting, at least, though.

With respect to bass, I think I tend to agree with Tap Tapley in his book on Bass Bugs. He opined that bass probably don't care WHAT they eat nearly as much as they care about just EATING something that appears to be alive, and if it also appears to be crippled or injured, they seem more likely to hit it, probably, if nothing more, just to taste it and see if it's as good to eat as it looks. The less energy they have to spend in getting fed, the better they seem to like it.

This is all conjecture, of course, but that's the view from here in the swamps. Like I said, it sure keeps things interesting.