Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Intruders for Trout

There are some very good videos on mini-intruders on Youtube. They are works of art in many ways and the sparse designs and use of materials offer tantalizing movements that sure hold promise. I am playiong around withthem now but bo stream time yet.

Rocco

I look at pictures of trout ... and they all seem to have huge mouths. I can imagine, if you put an intruder in front of a hungry trout, it'll inhale it just like any other fish would.

That must be because pictures of trout rarely show the average 10-14' size fish that get caught. Mainly, lunkers -- 20" and up -- get screen tests. And then, many of those are caught on bass plug, size streamers that only came into wide use in the past decade or so. The 'dinks' probably see these dreadnaughts as predators. (grin)

Large Intruders originally were intended for out size, mature, spring, steelhead and fall run salmon and big browns fresh in from the big water on spawning runs. They dwarf run of the mill; trout. The issue at hand is whether such big intruders may now also have a place alongside the big streamers in fishing for trophy-size resident trout. They may well have. And the odd juvenile with a Napolean-complex. probably also will take a run at them

Rocco

Sure, they work fine and depending on what you tie them with, the pattern scales pretty well. Never tried them in still-water but in moving water they work fine. Not exactly the first pattern I would reach for because it really is a steelhead pattern so it assumes fairly aggressive fish.

Sure, they work fine and depending on what you tie them with, the pattern scales pretty well. Never tried them in still-water but in moving water they work fine. Not exactly the first pattern I would reach for because it really is a steelhead pattern so it assumes fairly aggressive fish.

Most of the patterns I have been looking at are smaller intruders. whatfly how do you fish them? Do you swing,strip unsure.

Kevin

Swing mostly, although I will sometimes jig it a bit to get their attention. Floating or sinking shooting head lines. I usually use a fast sinking head rather than weight the fly, but if you google "Montana Intruder" you will find that barbell eyes are also popular. Good luck.

I've used 'em, but with a trout spey not a single hander. I also used them on the swing with twitches, not stripping them. Sink tip is the way to go, intruders by design have a lot of water resistance and don't get down deep, especially if you're swinging in heavier currents which is where I generally used them.

I mostly use single hackle station tube style intruders for trout, that way I can use long flowing hackle like pheasant or rhea and I can still keep the fly trout sized. The drawback is it's hard to make baitfish imitations with lighter fibers on the bottom and darker fibers on top.