Fly Tying
retrocarp

Fly Tyers Dungeon Videos

Hey guys ....

Has anyone actually followed any of the recipes for his( Mad scientist ) flies ... and if so ..do they catch fish ???

I just get the impression he encourages people to use a lot of material per fly ...whereas I prefer the less is more approach .

Pics of fish caught using his patterns would be good to see .....

I agree...

I realize that most flies are somewhat abstract in nature, but some of the FTD flies seem like a blob of material on a hook.

Then again, maybe that is the genius in it...

Curious to hear others as well.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from him during his last sale and included was a Bottom Dweller fly. I can tell you just by looking at it that it will catch fish. I plan on tying up a bunch for saltwater and warmwater in various colors. The fly I received is not over dressed at all. Now some of his videos do make me wonder, the Franken Frog really comes to mind. I'll keep an open mind and give it a shot eventually though.

I have tied a few of his flies and used them on warmwater fish. I don't use the amount of materials that he does.

Rick

Any pics of fish caught ...pref with flies ( patterns of FTDs) Fly and fish if poss

I ordered a bunch of stuff from him during his last sale and included was a Bottom Dweller fly. I can tell you just by looking at it that it will catch fish. I plan on tying up a bunch for saltwater and warmwater in various colors. The fly I received is not over dressed at all. Now some of his videos do make me wonder, the Franken Frog really comes to mind. I'll keep an open mind and give it a shot eventually though.

Yeah i'd like to see the bottom dweller in a fishes mouth ( one actually caught mind you ) lol

I just got a box of goodies from him as well, and had the same exact question. After I saw his videos I was just about positive someone would have asked this question already, and sure enough...

I am extremely pleased with all his materials, especially the price, but some of his patterns are just WHACKY!

In my opinion, It would serve the "Mad Scientist" well to produce more videos of more traditional patterns using his materials.

On another note has anyone ever used his HI-float fibers?

I bought some Hi-Float fibers a while back and brushed them out as per his instructions. They soaked up water and the flies sank like a stone.

Joe

Joe, That's discouraging! I tied a few "Hi-Float midges" I guess i'll find out how high floating they are.

Lot of stoopid fish on the Bitterroot, where he's based; even those flies would work there. Kidding aside, I'll stick to just ordering Congo Hair from him; most of those patterns aren't quite what I'm interested in tying.

Regards,

Scott

ps - Joe, sorry to hear the Hi-Float was a bust

I think the Hi-Float fibers might make good wings on streamers. After the fibers are brushed out the material is extremely soft.

Joe

Hey guys ....

Has anyone actually followed any of the recipes for his( Mad scientist ) flies ... and if so ..do they catch fish ???

I just get the impression he encourages people to use a lot of material per fly ...whereas I prefer the less is more approach .

This is a variation of one of his recipes, and the dubbing is the MS Bugger Dubbing. Compared to his video, I use less of the material. It is extremely buggy and I've caught trout and smallmouth on the pattern. It's tough to dub directly on, thus I use a dubbing loop.

TC

I just got a box of goodies from him as well, and had the same exact question. After I saw his videos I was just about positive someone would have asked this question already, and sure enough...

I am extremely pleased with all his materials, especially the price, but some of his patterns are just WHACKY!

In my opinion, It would serve the "Mad Scientist" well to produce more videos of more traditional patterns using his materials.

On another note has anyone ever used his HI-float fibers?

Yes I've used the high float fibres on my caddis flies and they work very well after adding floatantpost-37956-0-82370200-1483442161_thumb.jpg

Hey guys ....

This is a variation of one of his recipes, and the dubbing is the MS Bugger Dubbing. Compared to his video, I use less of the material. It is extremely buggy and I've caught trout and smallmouth on the pattern. It's tough to dub directly on, thus I use a dubbing loop.

TC

Yes Tim I tie one like that myself called the nasty bugger lol with a tungsten black bead instead smile.png